Got my Painless Harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 07, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Talking Got my Painless Harness

Got my 18 circuit Painless Wiring harness yesturday. Very nice piece!!! I like the ability to add circuits through the B/C connector and not have extra holes and wires running out of the firewall. This will clean things up alot! I plan on shifting a few existing circuits (air cond. to NOS activation, etc...)to meet my needs but that is all easily do able with this kit. I like how they give you extra B/C connctor terminals and pretty easy to understand diagrams. Plus all of the other connectors needed.
Now I have to find the time to rewire!!!!

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 07, 05:39 PM
Banned
Ron

Re: Got my Painless Harness

Yes!....I wired up my 68 coupe with the 18 circuit, Painless Wiring Kit, back in 2005.....It wasn't that bad and when I ran into a problem I contacted their tech dept.....The only things I needed to either reuse or purchase were the body ground cables, parking light sockets, tail and reverse light sockets and side marker sockets......Let me know if you run into any interior wiring problems, for example, the ignition switch wiring.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Talking Re: Got my Painless Harness

Update:
Got the harness installed and everything worked as advertised. Could not have been any easier to install. Only thing that took time was routing the wires where I wanted them to hide as much of it as possible from view. There is plenty of wire to do this without having to lengthen any of the wires. Also very easy to add wires to the bulkhead connector so that it all looks factory. I used new brake light connectors (the part number that CFunk used). I added Painless;s courtesy light kit and it is a great addition to the interior. I used my MSD wire crimpers on the GM 56 terminals and a pair of crimper pliers form Lowes that made great crimps plus I soldered every connector and used heat shrink on them. The ignition switch was a breeze to connect as all wire colors matched the original.

I posted this on Painless Performance site:

First let me say that I have found that this wiring harness is "Exactly" what I wanted. The quality is great, The Craftsmanship is top notch, and so far everything is fitting just like I want. I am running a 67 RS Clone with a SBC/T-350 with a good shot of NOS. This kit is perfect for replacing the stock portions of my harness and it gives me the ability to add the performance components and relays that I need to use. It also allows me to route the wires in a neater fashion to hide and clean up the engine compartment. As we say in the NAVY "BRAVO ZULU"!!!

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 04:43 PM
Banned
Ron

I like your style man!..... Rub it in strong and rub it in deep!.....I can't think of one person on this site that likes Painless except you and I!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I like your style man!..... Rub it in strong and rub it in deep!.....I can't think of one person on this site that likes Painless except you and I!
Awwww, that's not completely true. It's just a question of needs and skills.
Painless is not plug n play. For some this is a good thing, for others, it's not.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 07:05 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Awwww, that's not completely true. It's just a question of needs and skills.
Painless is not plug n play. For some this is a good thing, for others, it's not.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Wink Re: Got my Painless Harness

Jim,
You are right that this is not a plug and play harness. But I see alot of people complain about a product when it is them that can't manage their skill or develope them to use it correctly.
All though the under dash section was just plug into the stock switches. I did have to reuse use the cresent shaped connector for the steering column but the directions and identical wire colors made it simple. In "MY" opinion if you can remove and replace an engine then you can use this kit to rewire your car. They make every wire identifable 4 way's, color code (which mostly replicates the original) wire number (which is printed on the wire and referenced in the directions) wire harness section is printed on each wire (ie engine section, interior section) and then where each wire goes is printed on each wire (ie left turn signal, starter solenoid B+). Plus there instructions are easy to understand.

Now if you are looking for authenticity or just want a plug and play of the original then this is not the way to go. I also liked it because it used upgraded fuse block with alot of newer technology in the main power circuit to prevent power loss and shorts. Also it let me add components like relay's and other circuits without butchering up the harness like I did with the original.

The one thing that I did before buying was the research and not a single thread or response complained of the quality or components. They all complained that it was to difficult to install or did not include certain conector's that are no longer available (which is written in their instructions). As much troubleshooting that people do on the electrical system they should not be afraid of replacing their 40+ year old harness.

Tony:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 07:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Electricity is greek to an awful lot of people. I do what I can with the tech articles in the basics sticky and my other posts and answers to questions, but still... to build a skill, you have to read about it, and then you have to put it to use to truly understand it. Lack of knowledge is frightening, but knowledge without experience can be worse, and getting experience requires you live that for a while.

It's kinda like the thread I'm running right now on degreeing a cam. This is a task I've "understood" for many many years, but I've never actually done it. There is a lot of work between understanding a concept and actually performing the task.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Jim,
I am glad you understood what I was trying to say. Sometimes I get long winded and people misunderstand my military way of being direct when I communicate.

I have taken quiet a few pictures of this job if you would like to post a tech article about it maybe we can put something together so it is lees "Greek" to people.

Tony:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode