Routing coil wire through the firewall - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Routing coil wire through the firewall

I'm placing my MSD coil behind the dash, and was wondering about a few things:

- Is there a maximum or optimal length for the coil wire ?

Right now, my coil wire is about 18" long and its too short, so I was going to have to make a longer one, probably about 24". Unless I decide to use velcro or double-sided tape to place the coil directly on the firewall (passenger side)

- Can the coil wire just be routed through a hole in the firewall with a grommet, or is a firewall feed-through needed ? Example:

http://www.msdignition.com/coil_acc_3.htm

Thanks

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 09:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Re: Routing coil wire through the firewall

I used a feed through just like the one in the link and made the coil wires to length.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech

The firewall feed through makes installing/removing the coil wire easier, but you could just use a grommet as well. There is no 'optimum' length of coil wire, you can't fit enough wire in your car to really make a difference.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionCritical View Post
I'm placing my MSD coil behind the dash, and was wondering about a few things:

- Is there a maximum or optimal length for the coil wire ?

Right now, my coil wire is about 18" long and its too short, so I was going to have to make a longer one, probably about 24". Unless I decide to use velcro or double-sided tape to place the coil directly on the firewall (passenger side)

- Can the coil wire just be routed through a hole in the firewall with a grommet, or is a firewall feed-through needed ? Example:

http://www.msdignition.com/coil_acc_3.htm

Thanks
I would go with the MSD firewall feed-through part. I wouldn't take the chance of using a just a grommet as they can deteriorate over time and a coil(or wire) arcing on the firewall is not a good thing. I would also rethink the idea of velcro or double-sided tape to secure the coil. I would mount it to the firewall with a self-tapping screw and use a thin piece of rubber between the coil bracket and firewall to act as an insulator and to reduce vibration. I'm no electrical expert but I would think that the longer the coil wire,the more voltage drop there would be,but I don't think it would be anything significant to cause a problem.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You would have to bump up the initial timing, a foot of wire is worth about 9 nanoseconds of delay.............

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Thanks for all of the replies. I created a smoothed and nicely painted firewall (which I may never do again) and now have created new challenges in how to do things that before were easy and quick. I can build a bracket to mount the coil under the dash, sort of behind the radio. If I route directly through the firewall there, its just a matter of drilling a hole behind the distributor on the firewall somewhere.

For those that have used the special firewall pass-through, do you need about a 1" hole ?

Thanks

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 10:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

yes, 1" according to Sumitt
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionCritical View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I created a smoothed and nicely painted firewall (which I may never do again) and now have created new challenges in how to do things that before were easy and quick. I can build a bracket to mount the coil under the dash, sort of behind the radio. If I route directly through the firewall there, its just a matter of drilling a hole behind the distributor on the firewall somewhere.

For those that have used the special firewall pass-through, do you need about a 1" hole ?

Thanks
....build a bracket to mount the coil under the dash, sort of behind the radio.

I like that idea. It solves several problems like keeping the coil wire as short as possible while hiding the coil and keeps the focus on the smoothed firewall. If you can post some pics so we can see what it looks like.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech

You couldn't afford to make a coil wire long enough to make a difference. The resistance of the wire is insignificant, as is the length. If you use a grommet, it will outlast the wire by a significant margin. When you replace the wire in 10 years, change the grommet.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I'll post pictures when I'm done. Thanks for all of the replies.

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 07, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jason

when i smoothed out my fire wall, i placed the coild behind the radio. i have all of the wires running through a 1 inched hole next to the dist.. the hole has a grommit and the wires are in loom.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 07, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I mounted my coil and MSD box under the dash below the glove box. I made a aluminum plate and mounted everything on it plus a extra fuse block. I also used the coil feed thru adapter. You can barely see them under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Guages.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	5143   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06083.JPG
Views:	574
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	5144  

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 07, 04:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I used the fire wall feed thru as well. My buddy made me a billet cover for it and it looks pretty good. my fire wall is smoothed with the heater box gone and this is where I put my 6-AL box and just under neath is where I put it. You can see it if you know what your looking for but if not you dont realy see it. I would post some pics but I am new to this.

PRO.ST69orange

Last edited by Pro-Street69Camaro468; Dec 30th, 07 at 08:00 AM. Reason: to show picture of feed thru
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I recently took some pictures of my throttle cable, and then remembered that I never posted any pictures of what I did with the coil. Not to make a long story of it, but...

What I did initially was put the coil wire through the firewall where the standard Camaro throttle cable comes through. I used this location because this area was not smoothed out and had some less-than-ideal body work on it, so it looked bad. Punching a hole there and putting a grommet cleaned it up actually.

I then mounted my coil, an MSD Blaster SS, on the bracket under the dash that the clutch/brake pedal mount to. I tried to come up with something around the radio location, but until I get my ducts and Vintage Air system roughed in, I could not visualize where everything was going to go. So this location for the coil will probably be temporary, but it does work, and only requires the standard 18" coil wire.

Then, I would up having to run a throttle cable after all, so I had to move the coil firewall pass-thru to another #[email protected]! location. I don't know what the area is used for, but here is a picture:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j.../throttle1.jpg

The coil is just to the left of the throttle cable. Since my former coil hole was too large for the throttle cable, I had to put a washer over the hole and to try to hide the chipped paint.

Now my coil is in a bad location because of the throttle cable, so I'll eventually have to move it for good at some point.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode