Voltage Reg Ground Wire? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 07, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Voltage Reg Ground Wire?

I am fitting my voltage reg to the rad support, and as far as I know, it has a ground wire. (I bought one as # CA01655 through Classic.)

However, I am unable to see in the AIM where it mounts the reg or rad support.
The only clue is in UPC 12 in the schematic diagram. It shows a ground wire from the top center mounting screw of the reg. -but where on the rad support does it ground to? The diagram is unclear.

This restored COPO offers no clues either.

Also. does anyone have the capacitor fitted for the U63 radio option? I am attempting to install this as well but cannot see anywhere on the voltage reg for it to plug into. There is no connection on the reg where the AIM suggests it to plug into. (Yes I am installing the C60-A/C option.)

Thanks guys.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 07, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Voltage Reg Ground Wire?

Hmm.. Because 69s use self tappers to mount the voltage reg (creating a ground), perhaps the ground wire is not required.
The 67-68s that use the insulating rubber well-nuts clearly show the ground wire installation.
This is UPC6 B6 of the '68 AIM.

Maybe this is answering my question.

Still, any info you guys have is greatly appreciated.

This is also from the 68 AIM..

Maybe I have the wrong voltage reg.. I definitely do not have a connection for the capacitor to plug onto, but I do have the threaded hole to mount the ground wire.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 07, 06:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Steve, the capacitor plugs onto a male 1/4" terminal that is on the backside of the regulator, it would point down if the reg is held in it's normal orientation.

The capacitor attaches to the "inboard" side of the reg base with a small sheet metal screw. The ground wire has a ring terminal which attaches to the reg with the same screw, and attaches to the rad support to a predrilled hole just above the 2 holes where a non RS washer bottle mounts. I am unsure of if the ground wire is used on 69, it is used on 67-68.

It's all detailed pretty well here: rad support-regulator-What it is, Where it is
The 67 & 68 pics I have there show the ground wire, the 2 69 pics do not.

As far as I know, the correct capacitor is no longer available. I used a cap normally used at the coil, and spliced on the correct connector borrowed from a temp sender wire.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 07, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks Jim, yes I do have the capacitor connection.. not quite where the AIM was pointing, which is why I must have missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
The capacitor attaches to the "inboard" side of the reg base with a small sheet metal screw..
However, this is true of 67-68s, the 69s definitely use one of the outboard mounting screws.
The wire on my capacitor unfortunately is not long enough for the C60 location shown here.

Anyway, I sort that out.. Thanks a heap for your info and that link.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode