Trouble with '69 RS conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Trouble with '69 RS conversion

So I have the entire front end done but I'm having problems with the headlight switch. If I turn the lights on, the doors do not open. But, if I pull the lines off the switch, the doors open. Also, if I flip the switch on the vacuum canister to 'OPEN', the doors open. It appears to me that the headlight switch is not working correctly. I ordered a new one from D&R and the same thing happens. Is it just bad switches or is there something else I'm missing?

1967 rs conv. hugger orange, 350 engine, former turbo 350 tranny-now SUPER T-10!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 blue SS 'vert, 350 engine, 4 spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
john

Re: Trouble with '69 RS conversion

did you use the color coded hoses?

carefully go over your hose routing..............also have a freind double check it after you....

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman View Post
did you use the color coded hoses?

carefully go over your hose routing..............also have a freind double check it after you....
yes, color hoses were used. I bought the full conversion kit from D&R. All lines were checked and double checked.

So does the light switch just contain a valve that opens and closes as the light switch is pulled out or pushed in?

1967 rs conv. hugger orange, 350 engine, former turbo 350 tranny-now SUPER T-10!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 09:48 AM
Retired
Jim

The switch has a valve system in it that 'open' the vac when you pull out the stem. You should have Vac up to the switch all the time. Pull one hose at a time to see if you have vac in one of them. If you dont, then backtrack and find out why. Once the switch is pulled 'on' that vac is directed to the big canister and then on to the doors.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
The switch has a valve system in it that 'open' the vac when you pull out the stem. You should have Vac up to the switch all the time. Pull one hose at a time to see if you have vac in one of them. If you dont, then backtrack and find out why. Once the switch is pulled 'on' that vac is directed to the big canister and then on to the doors.
Jim,

is the valve system purely mechanical? in other words, can i test the switch without the electrical connections to see if the valve closes? Does the valve close when the switch is pulled out or does the valve open?

I tested both switches and i cannot get the valve to close. I tested every combination of possibilities (vacuum on one tube then other, switch in and out) and none of them closed the valve. I think that I just got bad headlight switches. Thoughts?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 11:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Did you try hooking the 2 hoses together at the light switch then start the car to see if they open. That will eliminate the light switch. If they open then it is the switch. If they still dont open, then there is something else wrong.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 12:44 PM
Retired
Jim

Yes that vac slide works back and forth without the lights being on. You dont need the elec. plastic plug 'plugged' into the switch to check the vac system. Do as Mike suggests. Hook the hoses together, do the doors open? If so, faulty vac slider inside the switch.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Did you try hooking the 2 hoses together at the light switch then start the car to see if they open. That will eliminate the light switch. If they open then it is the switch. If they still dont open, then there is something else wrong.
I don't want to sound like I know for sure but are you guys sure that the valve opens when the lights turn on? My system would work perfectly if the valve closed when the lights were on.

The lights stay closed when the two hoses are bridged together. My two bad switches let air pass thru no matter what..... still stumped.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
john

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPTOPtimes2 View Post
I don't want to sound like I know for sure but are you guys sure that the valve opens when the lights turn on? My system would work perfectly if the valve closed when the lights were on.

The lights stay closed when the two hoses are bridged together. My two bad switches let air pass thru no matter what..... still stumped.
sound like vac lines switched........triple check your hose routing.........

do you have:
the red hose on the fronts of your actuators?
the green hose on the rear?

vac relay assy....has 3 hoses.......

red hose on top
yellow in the middle
green hose on bottom

prostreet69camaro has a good point!!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 07, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech
john

click below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.camaros.net/techref/articles/ftecref001.html

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 07, 12:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Maybe you've seen the chart on the above link. Maybe that's the problem. My stuff is original except for the canisters. My green hose is attached to the top port of the actuator valve. Yes, it goes to the rear of the canisters. Works like it always has; perfectly.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 07, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

I took apart one of the light switches and the switch was bad. They are definitely cheap chinese switches. The design is very weak. I'll post later with some more details. I temporarily fixed the switch and the lights work fine now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode