Temp gauge problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Question Temp gauge problem

When I pull the headlights on, my temp gauge goes up to a warmer reading. What could be the problem?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Temp gauge problem

Low alternator output with headlamps on?
Slipping belt?
High resistance, more than 1 ohm, of coolant sending body to engine block/alt case?

I'm open for more suggestions.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Everett, headlamps on. You nailed it. Low alternator output. I am gonna get some flack, but the restored voltage reg is to blame, I am betting. Thanks. John Pirkle gets it see it now.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 09:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

"here he comes to save the day!!!"

Nice Everett, real nice.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Make it easy on yourself and get a Wells VR715 reg and swapout the guts to keep your dated chassis and top, or not.

Thanks, Harley.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 06:35 AM
Gold Member
Todd

Gary;
I gave up too on my original 8J 515 regulator when i did a check on it just two days ago, it was pumping out 15.55 volts lights/everything on, 16.85 no acc. Tried to adjust no go! Pulled the cover off put it on my new VR715 and voila no issues constant 13.95-14.5 no matter what i turn on off etc..
Todd

69Z

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI018DZ View Post
Gary;
I gave up too on my original 8J 515 regulator when i did a check on it just two days ago, it was pumping out 15.55 volts lights/everything on, 16.85 no acc. Tried to adjust no go! Pulled the cover off put it on my new VR715 and voila no issues constant 13.95-14.5 no matter what i turn on off etc..
Todd
I hear ya'all. I am going to let John Pirkle look at it. The VR715 guts will go back into the original chassis? On second though if it is totally the same otherwise why not?. Todd, keep the original and have John Pirkle look at it!

One other thing. Maybe it is the original rebuilt alternator. I need to verify that also.

Last edited by Gary L; Jan 2nd, 08 at 01:14 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 05:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Gary, the vr715 is fifteen dollars at autozone. Just buy one and try it. It don't fix it put it ina box somewhere. I don't think you can swap the base, but you can for sure swap the cover. It's a good product and works very well. It cannot make an old style 61 amp alternator hold 13 volts at idle with the headlights on though.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Gary, the vr715 is fifteen dollars at autozone. Just buy one and try it. It don't fix it put it ina box somewhere. I don't think you can swap the base, but you can for sure swap the cover. It's a good product and works very well. It cannot make an old style 61 amp alternator hold 13 volts at idle with the headlights on though.
I will stop and look at one tonight. Are ya sure it can't hold 13V when ya have to idle at 950-1000 RPM?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 05:43 PM
Gold Member
Todd

Gary I started disassembly of my dated regulator. I will use it with a new VR715 mated to it. No more mechanical regulators for me. John is the one who I purched this one from. But now that I've molested it I can't send it back. I'm just fine with that.

Todd

69Z

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 06:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

mine won't. 14 volts all the time with the headlights off. Voltmeter needle flashes with the turn signals at idle tho. Headlights on, about 12.5 volts at 650 rpm idle, back up to 14 at maybe 1200.

Some may work better than mine. It's original, I just took it apart and cleaned the commutator and bearings, and checked the diodes.

The voltage changes don't affect my guages (autometer) they don't even affect the wideband.

One thing you could try... with the headlights on, turn the dash dimmer so the dash lights go off. If the temp gauge changes, you might check your grounds on the console pod.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI018DZ View Post
Gary I started disassembly of my dated regulator. I will use it with a new VR715 mated to it. No more mechanical regulators for me. John is the one who I purched this one from. But now that I've molested it I can't send it back. I'm just fine with that.

Todd
Can you post a picture? I wonder if Pirkle can do the conversion?

Jim, I do get a funny jump on the temp gage at times at road speed. I think it may be two problems.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

OK, I used my old regulator. It can do 13V at idle (950 RPM) and about 13.7 at fast idle (2000 RPM). But when I turn my headights on at road speed the the temp gauge still goes up. Have to check ground connections. How does the body ground if it sits on rubber? Ground screw at console, ground screw at passenger fender by the battery. Where else?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 08, 04:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

There are separate grounds for the console gauges, front half and back half, that's the first place I'd look.

The engine grounds with the big ned battery cable. There is also a smaller wire on the neg battery cable, which grounds the body by connecting to the inner fender.

AM radio cars have some extra ground straps, they vary by year, and mine are not correct, but they connect the engine to the firewall. Detailed in the AIM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode