light/wireing problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

light/wireing problem

i have a 68 camaro that i purchased that already had a painless wiring harness in it, car was all dissasembled for paint,etc. and now when i turn my headlights on , i lose my parking lights and turn signals in the front but not the rear.i replaced the switch and that was not it. the car has the standard grill,not the hideaway lights.my next ? is when the turn signal is on,are the markers in the side fenders supposed to blink?to be honest it could have been like this when i bought it as it was on its way to be a race car before i put it back to the street...well kinda street LOL(BBC with a f2 procharger LOL)any suggestions?? is it a ground?? first i guess i need to know if the front and sides flash or just the fronts. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Re: light/wireing problem

I can tell the marker lights are not supposed to blink. I would call painless and get a diagram to start just to get the colors straight.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 07:34 PM
Tech Team

My gues is a ground connection. check the ground coming from the head lamps make sure the ground point where it connects is clean and no paint. if there is paint U need to remove the paint where you are connecting the ground wire or it may be that the wround wire did not get reconnected back to ground it may be loose.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 08, 08:28 PM
Senior Tech
clayton hicker

its the ground.i had the same problem.mine wasnt getting a good ground at the front blinkers

clayton hicker
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks guys i will try it. i wish i knew how to post pics so i could show it off
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedude3 View Post
its the ground.i had the same problem.mine wasnt getting a good ground at the front blinkers
would that kill the rear side markers as well though???
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 12:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Bad grounds can kill lots of things, make the lighting system act just plain wierd. Fresh paint often = bad grounds. After paint, I troubleshot and repaired 4 bad grounds, then gave up, went to the hardware store and bought a handfull of star washers, and put one uner every nut and bolt that carried a ground connection. The star washers fixed em all.

Because of all the parrallel circuits in the lighting, real wierd things can happen.

Right now, I have a bad ground to my right front park / turn lamp. Symptom is: Headlights off, turn signals work normally. Headlights on, right turn indicator in dash lights up, park light not on on right side, turn signal works normally.

On a 68, each headlight and front turn/park lamp has it's own ground wire.
The tail lights ground thru thier mounting bolts (astar washer here!)
I don't recall how the marker lights ground.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

so run a ground from each parking lamp(the back metal part of the housing) to a ground point?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 02:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Those wires should be there. They're maybe 8" long, have a ring terminal on the end, and attach to the headlight bracket with a sheetmetal screw. Yes, if they are not there, make it so.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 08, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Thats a problem with the light switch connection, its not a ground problem (unless painless fixed there wiring harness). Basically Painless sells a 67/68 harness for Camaros. 67s don't have parking lights on with the headlights on, while 68's do. There is a difference in the wires at the headlight switch connector. Check for voltage at any of your parking light terminals with the switch in the parking light and then in the headlight position. I bet the voltage goes away when you turn the headlights on. I beleive you will have to add a jumper at the switch to keep the parking lights on when the headlight switch is pulled all the way out.

There are also differences in the ignition switch connections between 67s and 68s. Don't know if they have fixed those yet, or if you just have an older version of the wiring harness. In this case one size does not fit all.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 05:11 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Marc C is right about the Painless harness. I am just finishing the installation of the Painless 18 circuit harness in my 68 and when testing I found that the front marker/turn lights go out when the headlights turn on.

After a search I found this thread and after reading Marc's comments I realized that the thin brown wire on the light switch plug was in the wrong location. Not sure what the pin numbers are but looking from the front of the light switch the thin brown wire was on the rear-most pin on the plug.

After dinking around with the voltmeter I found that the pin on the front left corner of the plug (not used on the Painless harness or the factory harness) has +12V power when the park lights are on and when the headlights are on. All I did is push the pin out of the old spot and moved it to the new spot. Now everything works as it did in 68.

Bottom line, no jumper required if you can carefully remove the connector from the plug and put it in a different location.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode