mil-spec connector?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

mil-spec connector??

I need to make a harness for my new EFI system.

I'd like to use a small waterproof locking connector, 1 side insterted thru a hole in the firewall from the back and bolted on, the engine side with a matching plug for the entire engine harness.

Back in my Navy days, we used a lot of connectors like that. Some even had different sized terminals, lil bitty ones for 20-24 guage wire, and a few bigger ones for 12-14 gauge wire, all in the same housing.

I want one.

I haven't done an accurate count yet, but I think I'll need 6 heavier wires, maybe 14 or 16 gauge, and perhaps 20 or more lil bitty ones. Fuel pressure gauge alone has 6 24 gauge wires...lol.

I started doing some research, and it seems one must be a brain surgeon just to order this stuff... Figuring out which shell size, seal types, contacts ordered separately, blah blah blah. It makes me wish I could spend 5 minutes in my old radar room with a wire cutter, wouldn't take long to find what I need that way.

As usual, when it comes to brain surgery, I turn to you guys. Can anyone make it easy? We have an account at Newarl Electronics, and they have a several lines of this type of connector, but I can make no sense out of thier online catalog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: mil-spec connector??

OH BTW... UPS brought me a heavy box today, label says "AirFlow Research" can't wait to open it, live on cam after dinner.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 12:15 PM

I know what connectors you are talking about, but can't help you with them.
However, I have seen another type of bulkhead connector used for EFI. Momar Injection has them and can sell you them alone or build a harness for you. www.momarefi.com

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Jim,
I believe this is what you are looking for.
http://www.pei-genesis.com/pdfs/amph...999/12-071.pdf

If so try this place out we have used them before with great results

http://www.pei-genesis.com

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Send a message via AIM to fugetaboti

Where's Harley? He's an AE2 he should know all about this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugetaboti View Post
Where's Harley? He's an AE2 he should know all about this.
Heck, he could probably borrow me some!

Momar's website is down, will try again tmorrow.

And yes, the amp stuff is the stuff, or something similar... that catalog is near 150 pages though, and everything is separate, connector body's, seals, inserts, contacts, yada yada yada....

They need a kit #.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Metri-pack "Junction Systems"

You can grab the full Delphi Metri-Pack catalog here:

http://connectors2.delphi.com/dcsgdm...es_Section.pdf

Not sure where to order them from though--might try Caspers Electronics.

Here's the only place I found on Google selling one as a kit:
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn..._junction.aspx

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 03:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

I already got you one Jim. Just give me some specifics and Ill dig thru my consumables...
round? square? self locking? quick-disconnect? fuel proof?
Let me know...

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 04:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

they are cannon plugs or amphenol connectors.
Mc master carr onlne carries them
sounds like your looking for a bulkhead connector.
I got some at work aswell (though limited)
the old cabinets get scrapped so tell me how many pins youll need and what size)

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Excellent, Harley!

I"m trying to avoid the Weatherpacks, thier just sooo damned huge. A Milspec connector can pack 30 5 amp terminals into a 1" circle, similar weatherpack would by 2x3"

Harley, I need a set, panel mount receptacle and twist lock plug. Round hole is easier to make, but I'm not that fussy, I will manage. Weatherproof. I counted 32 wires, appears all are 16-18 gauge, but did not make certain they all had to pass through the firewall. A few extras would be nice if possible.

Lemme know.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Like stink on skunk.....

November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 06:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

http://www.alvatek.com/cms/mil-c-837...-connector.php

Like this? need an idea of what to look for...
*3723 are case ground multi-pin 16-18 is you use a 10S. 10N would be ok for a car but you cant paint them... olive drab green sux

Thanks Chief.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 06:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

mil-c-38999 series II KJ

Type that in google images, I think I saw a few of those. Wont know til I get to work tomm...

Thanks Chief.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yea Harley, just like that.

Need the plug and receptacle shells with inserts, and enough male and female contacts to be able to screw a few up.

Something in the neighborhood of 32-36 pin, for 16-18 guage wire.

Some reasonable idea of where and what to get to remove the pins (if I screw any up...lol) would be handy too.

Thanks.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 08, 09:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Talking Re: mil-spec connector??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
yea Harley, just like that.

Need the plug and receptacle shells with inserts, and enough male and female contacts to be able to screw a few up.

Something in the neighborhood of 32-36 pin, for 16-18 guage wire.

Some reasonable idea of where and what to get to remove the pins (if I screw any up...lol) would be handy too.

Thanks.
How about 'insertion' and 'removal' tools for 'pin' type cannon plugs? Theyre green and white in color for 16-18 gauge.

Sorry, had to b a smart a$$.
Ill look thru my junk and see if I got sum close to that with that many pins. Give me a bit. wont know til tomm....at work.
I love to help, just makes my day to assist someone. Rather do that than eat.

Thanks Chief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode