Painless Wiring Kit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Erik

Painless Wiring Kit

I figure I have my camaro apart so I might as well replace the wiring before I pull it back together. Ive read on here and other place that the Painless kit is really nice and easy to run but which one should I get or have others bought. Ive seen the kit make for 68-74 GM muscle cars or the 18-Circuit, GM Column, Universal Kit. Both have 18 circuit but with a 150 dollar difference Im kinda stumped. Whick one should I get and why? Does one bolt in easyer?

Universal Kit
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
68-74 GM car kit
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Painless Wiring Kit

Looking at the descriptions, it looks like the GM kit might have more of the wires with correct terminals for GM already installed.

Do a search here for "Painless". Some like them, some don't. For just a little more than the Painless universal kit and less than the 68-74 GM kit, you can get a much nicer Classic Update kit from American Autowire. IMO, much better system and top of the line tech support. The price shown on the link is retail; you can get it for around $450 shipped from many vendors, including Musclerodz (one of our site sponsors).

http://www.americanautowire.com/69_Camaro_CUK.html

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 11:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I second the classic update harness. I just installed one myself with no cussing at all! I usually have to belt out a few on every project, but not this one. The instuctions and tech support are great. The nice thing about AAW's kit, is that you don't reuse any old sockets/connections. With the painless kit, you'll have to splice a lot of your old stuff in ie: tail light sockets. Just my 2 cents.

1968 Camaro Coupe: Forged 383, AFR heads, Edelbrock Air-Gap intake, Holley 750 dp, Dynatech headers (557 HP/543 TQ), TKO-600, 12 Bolt 3.73, Vintage Air.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech
frank

No experience with Painless but I used AAW and it was simple, straight forward and everything appeared to be just like the factory wiring I took out (rear wiring harness on a 67 RS).

67 Camaro RS - 383 Stroker
Factory A/C - Muncie 4 speed
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 08, 07:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

AAW is the way to go in the future.Tech support at painless are all foreigners sorry to say and no help for me when I needed it.Not happy at all.

PRO.ST69orange

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Erik

WOW! I'll have to look into them. Didnt relize all the problems you can have with the painless kit. Thanks for the advise.

Edit: Where did you see if for $450 shipped? The best I found was 475 shipped and it was on ebay.

Last edited by SilverSS1969; Jan 11th, 08 at 05:49 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 08, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech

Silver - So many choices, I hope I don't overload you...

First of all, the AAW Classic Update Kit for 69 Camaro part number is 500686.

Frank and Lisa (TC username ProdigyCustoms) have an ongoing AAW group purchase over at www.GPSuperstore.com . Free to join, lots of different manufacturers with strong group purchasing power, and Frank and Lisa are great to deal with an very responsive via email or phone. The group buy looks like 10% off AAW, so that would put 500686 at somewhere near $475 (which is the best you found).

Mike Redpath at MuscleRodz in OK is also a good guy to deal with MuscleRodz.com. Their website shows the 500686 at $499. Contact Information
[email protected]
PHONE: 405-735-8405
Fax: 405-735-6662
Musclerodz & Customz
2113 South Sante Fe Ave
Oklahoma City, Ok 73109

Here is a current one on ebay at $449 plus free shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/69-CH...spagenameZWDVW

$459 and $9.95 shipping here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIRIN...2em118Q2el1247

So, if you wanted to support a TC sponsor like GPSuperstore or MuscleRodz, it is worth contacting them and seeing if they can match the lowest price (including shipping).

Finally, the best thing is that, no matter who you buy it from, AAW will be there for support. Donny Bock is a top notch, old school GM muscle guy kind of tech (even if he does like bigger cars like B-bodies ). http://www.americanautowire.com/Contact.html

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 11:04 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

I helped a friend install a Painless kit on his 69 Firebird, and I bought a AAW for my 69 Camaro. No comparison, the AWW Classis Update kit was way better than Painless. Came with a lot more parts (including light sockets). I don't believe I had to reuse any old parts with the AAW kit and we were cutting and splicing old junk onto the Painless kit. I think the AAW was actually a little cheaper (got mine from ebay), but after using both, I would gladly pay more to get the AAW kit. Just my opinion...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 02:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Also, If you have any questions what so ever or how stupid for me anyway they were. AAW was very helpfull and very patient. Also if you go with a DSE wiper motor they can hook you up with the wires to go thru the fuse block to stop from drilling another hole in the fire wall. AAW all the way not to down Painless but the need to up there help requirements.

PRO.ST69orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode