cs alternator need help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

cs alternator need help

i bought a new gm crate engine and it comes with a cs alternator. i already converted the car to cs last year. the problem is the new alternator uses a 4 wire connector and the old one is a 2 wire connector, black and red. i cannot remember what i did so i need someone to tell me which of the 4 wires i use and which 2 go with my old black and red connection.

I assume the big red wire with the terminal on it stays on the terminal on the back of the alternator. I need help knowing what i do with the red and black wire on my old wiring harness where they go. i know you dont use 2 of the wires on the new harness.

thanks david
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech

Re: cs alternator need help

I purchased a connector from the help section at my local autoparts store. Although the connector has 5 terminals in it, only 3 wires come out of the plug - red brown, and black. Here is how I hooked mine up by color code.

The red wire on the back connects in the usual manner. The red wire on the connector is a remote sensing wire. You can connect this directly to the back of the alternator stud if you like, or you can connect it to your main power distribution point (such as the horn relay in a 1st gen) for better voltage regulation. The brown wire (L) is the exciter wire. It needs to be hooked to the generator lamp circuit, or a switched power source with a resistor. Do not connect the L wire directly to 12 volts. The other wire (black) doesn't connect to anything. I terminated it inside the harness.

Here is an article I wrote that you may find helpful. https://www.camaros.net/techref/electrical/dnult_alt/

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech

what crate motor comes with a CS alternator?

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help. i basically did what you said and that is left the main red wire hook to the battery, 12 volt all the time, hooked up the heavy wire from the 4 wire harness out of the alternator to the back of the alternator stud, same place where the main feed to the battery hooks up. then i hooked up the L wire to the switched ignition wire which also has the generator light on the feed and it seems to work perfect. I was nervous not using the 3rd wire that i had hooked up to the si alternator on the other post, but it seems to be working fine. when i turn on the headlights without the engine running the alternator guage goes down and when you start the car it goes up. do you think i did it correctly?

the engine is a chevrolet performance parts 383/425 hp engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode