Junk batteries!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Junk batteries!!

Well, I have purchased my last department store battery. I went out to start my Camaro this morning and just got a couple of grunts from my battery purchased a few months ago.

I have it on the charger now and will get it going I know. I will do some research and find a battery that I want. The Optima line looks appealing to me and will also look good in the engine compartment. I will also purchase a battery tender for this and keep it on the car in the off months.

My car doesn't get winterized because I try to drive it year round. In the winter I just wait until the roads are clean and take it for a spin. My garage is also heated so it does not have to sit in extreme cold temps either.

I have just come to the conclusion to buy a good battery and be done with it.

Rant over!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 10:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Junk batteries!!

Dan..
Been there and done that! I get Diehard batteries because they last longer than the warranty. The optima are also a good option. Letting anytrhing drain can change the life of a battery...like a modern radio that retains the pre-set stations.

Kev
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Possibly something is draining the battery down while the car is sitting? ie.. bad wire? short? etc.. When the battery is fully charged and you attach the battery cables, is there a small spark by any chance?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
like a modern radio that retains the pre-set stations.
Yeah been caught on that one myself
"department store battery." generally are not as well built or stored as higher end more expensive brands...But they do last a bit longer than a couple months..
So offten over the yrs have had people simily change a battery without checking the battery cells, the load , alternater and any current leak (modern radio)
Be it a crook battery , what ever tese checks should be carried out EVERYTIME a battery 'craps out'.....usully it has because something else is wrong or not quite right

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 01:03 PM
Banned
Ron

Whatever battery you choose, make a habit of disconnecting the negatve battery cable from battery, when not in use, to avoid any drains.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech

I've had three of those damn DieHards develop a leak on the side terminals and seriously foul up my cables, subframe, and anything else the acid touches. And as luck would have it, even though the battery was a 72 month battery, DieHard doesn't warranty them beyond the vehicle manufacturers warranty.

I use an Optima and love it - in fact I have 3. Some folks have had bad luck with them. To me the mess prevention is worth the extra price. They have plenty of cranking amps, although they may be a bit more depressed in cold weather than a regular battery. I've never had a problem in the 4 years I've owned them.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 08, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the ideas!!
When I got my Camaro, the guy that had owned it before me, put in a modern CD player (and cut the dash out to make it fit! ). It has all kinds of things that stay on and it also has a remote for it. I am sure that is what drains the battery. I do not notice a spark when I disconnect it but that's not saying it still has something running.

I have considered installing a quick connect type deal for my negative wire just for this reason. I have seen some nice looking sets that are brass looking in color and may be just what I need.

As for leaking, I have taken preventative measures just in case of a battery leak. The engine compartment had been painted with the dull black paint some time ago and looks ok. I also purchased a new aftermarket battery tray for it when I first got the car. When I put this last battery in I had a pint of POR15 and hand painted the tray top and bottom. I also painted the area under and around the battery with the POR15. I made sure I covered the sub frame, inner fender and the flat surface directly below the battery. You can see it because the POR15 dries real shiney but it doens't look bad. In fact, you have to lean in to look in order to see where I have used the POR15.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode