Need Help!!!! No fire MSD system - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Need Help!!!! No fire MSD system

I need help with MSD system and am not an electrical person. I restored my 68 two years ago and installed the MSD 6AL , MSD distributor and a MSD blaser coil. Car ran fine for the past two years. I have not started my car for about three months and today when I went out it will spin over but not start, I checked and its getting fuel. I pulled the plug wire from the top of the dist to see if it is sparking and it is. Checked a plug wire at the spark plugs and get no spark. Not sure what to do next. Car as running fine when I shut it down three months ago. Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 08, 09:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Need Help!!!! No fire MSD system

I would check your dist cap and rotor. Make sure the inside of the cap is not corrided and the rotor tip is not broken. You could also replace them to eliminate them for a problem. You obviously have spark from your MSD box. You could go to MSD.com and they have a good forum on troubleshooting msd systems.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 08:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Tap, tap, tap, tap,,,,, (that's the sound of my toe) It's been, what, 14+ hours since Matthew posted. It MUST have started. Mike gave him the whole list to check. Tap, tap, tap,,,,Maaaathew. < that's me shouting for Matt.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Fred, Sorry for the delayed responce but I had to work today. I went out just a few minutes ago and checked the ohms for the magnetic device in the dist and it checks out to about 660 ohms , whic indicates the magnetics is good in the distributer. The MSD site has some good checking idea that I will have to check tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech

And the rotor...was it good? How about the bushing in the top of the cap? It makes no sense that spark gets into the distributor but doesn't get out. It could also be that you've got condensation or water in the cap causing your spark to fizzle. Wipe out the inside of the cap and spray it with WD-40 to see if that will help.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 07:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I actually had the same thing happen to me and the tip of my rotor was broke off. I checked my box for spark and it was good. Finally decided to look in the dist. and found out what was wrong.

Mike

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

I will spray the rotar cap with WD-40 today and see if that helps, will also take a good look at the cap. Will keep you posted. Thanks Again!!!!!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 08, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

What a day!!!!!
Today I sprayed the dist cap with WD-40 and cleaned it our real good to make sure it was dry. Still not firing. Went to the MSD web site looking at the troubleshooting area. Went back out side and checked the fire by using the jumper and watching for spark when pulling it loose, still no fire. I origianlly thought I ahd fire at the coil but not out of the dist. Not sure I did the accurate Troubleshooting for that. I replaced the coil since it didn't check exactly as MSD said it would, with new coil still no fire.
Is it possible for the MSD6AL to go bad just sitting there? Per the MSD testing procedures it may be bad. Will double check some items tomorrow, but now I amd thinking the MSD6AL may be bad.
The car was running fine when I parked it three months ago and now no fire at all. Checked the hot wires to MSD6AL and there are at 12 V. Still puzzled, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange 68 View Post
Went back out side and checked the fire by using the jumper and watching for spark when pulling it loose, still no fire.
Do that test very quickly (connect and disconnect) . If you do it slowly you won't always have spark. BTDT.

Greg U

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 05:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I had alot of problems out of my MSD6BTM. It would work fine then start acting up and backfire then would not run at all. Replaced everything but the box and it ran fine again for about a month then started again. I finally had a chance to test the box and it had a decent spark but the more I tried firing the box the spark started going away. I would retest the box. Do you know anyone with a spare box. I have 3 spares.

Mike

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

I retested the box and its good. Checked the coil (ohms) and its good. Checked the magnetic pick (ohms) up in the distributor and its good. Took the dist cap back off and looked at the post inside the cap and noticed they had some buildup. I cleaned then with a scotch bright pad and they return to the brass color again from a black color. I also cleaned the inside of the cap with WD-40 and contact cleaner to amke sue it was good and dry since the car has been sitting for several months. Once I cleaned the cap, it fired right up. not really sure if it was the build up or moisture in the cap. Alls i know is that is running good now. Thanks for all the suggestions/ help!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode