Sucking power and it sucks! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Sucking power and it sucks!

I've been running my car for a while now with a new painless wiring kit and new electrical everything. It was running ok untill recently the battery hasn't been charging completely! The battery is an Optima red top and it was new when I did the rewire. I noticed that when the car is in park at idle (1500 RPM) the volt gauge reads ok at about 14 volts but when in gear it drops to about 10 volts and then climbs slowly back to maybe 12 volts but when I turn on lights,wipers it drops down to below 12 volts and if I turn on the heater blower motor it drops down to 10 volts or lower. The volt meter seems to read fine at about 14 again once I start driving and get those RPMs up but again once I come to a stop light it drops back down to about 10 volts so I have to shift into park or neutral when at the stoplight! What is going on here? My alternator is new to but I think its only a standard alternator runnin' about 60 plus amps! Do I need to jump up to A high output alternator pushing 105 amps or could this be A battery issue? Seems like A simple fix but what is the correct course of action? Either upgrade alternator or upgrade to a yellow or blue top optima! I'd like to save some money so if I can get away with only doing one or the other that would be great! I forgot to mention my idle speed when put in drive is about 600-700 RPM and volts seem to be fine at about 12.5 aslong as all accessories are not running!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Sucking power and it sucks!

You drop from 1500 rpm in neutral to 700 in drive? That's a ton.

Do you have a stock alternator with a stock pulley? Internal regulator?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 08, 06:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Why idle at 1500?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

I reset the idle to 1500 RPM to spin the alternator faster to get more juice to the battery! Really hammers on the tranny but this was just a band-aid fix for the moment but doesn't help me when in drive at 700RPM. Yes the alternator is a stocker with a stock pully and an internal regulator. Please give me some more incite on what the problem is.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Maybe the voltage sense wire is broken or needs to be in a different location. Alternator should regulate regardless of speed and load, to a certain point.

Is the car originially equipped with an internal reg'd alt?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

I read somewhere on this site about doing the one wire conversion and it said something about the OE alternator doesn't start charging untill you reach 1000RPM. Am I understanding that correct? Is this the same for the 105amp alternators? It looks like they make a 105amp alternator that is either A one wire or you can get it as a three wire! Is one better then the other? If I get the three wire one its just a simple swap but even the one wire would be an easy swap! The car is a 67 so it originally had the external voltage regulator but since I installed the painless wire harness I removed it and installed the later style alternator with three wires because the engine is a mid 70's block with the alternator on the passenger side! Maybe the stereo is sucking to much juice but its really nothing over the top just two 10 inch subs and two 6x9s hooked up to 600 watts 4 channel and two 6 inch mids hooked up to 100 watts 2 channel amp for a total of 700 watts. This seems preety low considering its under 1000 watts. Only other aftermarket accessory is my 15 inch flex-o-lite fan. Even with these running constantly I would think the OE alternator would be able to handle it! AM I asking to much of it?????
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Sounds like you have alternator load problems, maybe defective alternator.

A good-working order alternator will output 14v @ 800rpm with minimal load.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech

in my opinion with 2 amps and an elecrtic fan you should have an alternator that puts out more than 60 amps
but that said, chops is right with the stereo and fan off you should see 14 volts at or just above idle

I think its time for an upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode