Aftermarket Gauges - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 08, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Aftermarket Gauges

OK, still moving along with my re-wire and getting ready to connect some additional guages. Question I have is, where it states that for example, water temp plugs into the dash cluster in pin x, do I run a jumper from pin x to my aftermarket guage (no factory guages so I assume this powers the idiot lights) or do I connect it directly to my gauge and bypass the dash connection all together?

Thanks in advance,

JD

1968 Camaro Coupe 327 worked over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Re: Aftermarket Gauges

Bump for the weekend.

Thanks

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

most people bypass the 40 year old wiring and run new wires for their gauges, particularly to electric gauge sending units that are sensitive to resistance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 02:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm not real clear on what you are trying to do. I know there was another thread or 2 on your rewqiring, but don't recall the specifics or if they relate at all to you gauges.

Question I have is, where it states that for example, water temp plugs into the dash cluster in pin x, do I run a jumper from pin x to my aftermarket guage

Where did that come from? What aftermarket gauges are you talking about, I've never seen aftermarket gauges with that level of detail in the instructions, unless you are talking about reproduction factory style gauges...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

I am re-wiring with a factory update kit from AAW. In making all of the connections to the dash cluster which identify various wires, water temp, oil presure and so on. I am adding some additional gauages so that I have a visual of these things. The question is do I run the AAW kit to the dash and then jump to the aftermarket gauge? Do I bypass the dash and go straight to the guage? Or do I connect the AAW kit as described, and then just wire the aftermarket gauge for a switched 12 volt and ground and then add the specific connection (water temp) seperately?

Thanks

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 05:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Depends on if you are keeping the idiot lights or not.

Personally, I like idiot lights. They "make you notice them"

If you lose the idiot lights, you can use the wires for the idiot light senders as the sender wires for your gauges. If you keep them, you gotta run more wires and install more senders. Idiot light senders are different than gauge senders.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Thanks...clears up my questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode