Anyone Recognize These? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Anyone Recognize These?

These 2 rubber sleeves are with my engine harness kit.

One sleeve is for an 18/20 gage wire and the other is for a 12 gage.
The only 12 gage in the engine harness is the Purple to the starter solenoid, so I figure it's on that wire, but I'm not sure and don't know where.
If that's a clue, I'm guessing that the smaller might be for the Yellow wire, also to the starter solenoid.
Maybe they are heat shields or for anti-chafing or something..

Anyone know for sure?
Thanks.

(I got a kit off the guys that make the repro looms, complete, but without wiring as my RHD would need extensive modifactions.)

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 03:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Re: Anyone Recognize These?

They are heat shrinks for splicing. When you solder wires together you slide them over and shrink them with a lighter or a heat gun. They shrink about 60 percent.

PRO.ST69orange

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I have heat-shrink tubing and these are definitely a different material.
Not only that, the smallest is a snug fit on the smallest size gage that is on the engine harness. 20 gage

Maybe I'll cut the tinyest piece off and see what happens with the heat gun. I'll let you know.
Thanks.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 02:50 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Looks like you need to use them in a high friction area or an area where the wires cross a sharp piece of sheetmetal.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 03:51 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Not heat shrink, much too thick... Looks like short sections of fuel line to me. I think it's intended use is for where the factory wiring to the starter would bend around the block after it drops down the firewall. Some vehicles have a metal tube down there, others they double wrap the wires...

Why not contact the guys that sent the stuff to you?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 04:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I think those are rubber sleeves that go over a wire connection. I don't know why they are used sometimes, but my American Autowire setup used one on the purple wire that goes to the starter solenoid. I don't recall where I've seen another one. I assume they are for extra insulation.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Why not contact the guys that sent the stuff to you?
Thanks guys, I just might contact them.. I just figured it may have been a really easy answer, so I asked here.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Jon From American Auto Wire just got back to me and said these rubber sleeves are for protecting the crimps on the ring terminals at the starter.
(Now we all know!)

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 02:37 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Mystery Solved!!!

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 03:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutSteve View Post
Jon From American Auto Wire just got back to me and said these rubber sleeves are for protecting the crimps on the ring terminals at the starter.
(Now we all know!)
Do these get heat shrunk on or just slide over the wire? I'm curios but that killed the dog.

PRO.ST69orange

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david calligan View Post
Do these get heat shrunk on or just slide over the wire? I'm curios but that killed the dog.

Yes me too, my kit is on the way and would like to know.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 04:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

No, these are made out of rubber, you don't heat them or anything. You just slide them over the wire before putting the end on, crimp the end on, then slide it down over the connection as far as you can. They fit pretty tight. Like I said, I think they are for extra insulation and yet flexible, which is better for the tight areas around the starter and you don't want any of the connection to be open for a possible short as there are a lot of wires all coming into the same area, including the main battery cable.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 08, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by david calligan View Post
I'm curios but that killed the dog.
Curiousity killed the cat, not the dog.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode