Horn Relay, Burning Wires, and a Huge Headache... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Horn Relay, Burning Wires, and a Huge Headache...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

I have a 67 coupe with a 327 small block. It has sat unused for a year, but I recently re-registered it and started driving it.

While only driving it for the fourth time, the car stuttered, died in the road, and the wires leading to the Horn Relay started smoking. I turned off the ignition, and had it towed home.

I replaced the voltage regulator and horn relay, hooked up everything the way it was originally except for the horn relay. The old relay has the same connections for the red wire, fused link wire, green wire tab, and black wire tab, but the new horn relay has a third tab. The guy at the auto parts store said it was a universal horn relay, so to leave the third tab empty.

When I re-connected the battery, the horn started to sound non-stop. I disconnected the battery, unplugged the horn, and tried again. With the horn disconnected and the battery re-connected, the horn relay did nothing but click.

The other thing that wasn't connected like OEM, was the rubber grommets on the voltage regulator. I couldn't find new ones, and the old ones fell apart when taking off the old regulator. Can that be causing a short?

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong? So frustrated I'm ready to take a wrench to me head!

THANK YOU TO ANYONE WITH SOME INFO!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 06:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve O.

Re: Horn Relay, Burning Wires, and a Huge Headache...

I would start with a copy of the factory service manual,it has the electrical schematic.Everything that powers the car runs from the horn relay terminals.It is relativley easy to isolate the problem refering to the schematic.I would not rely on the way the wires were run before you got the car runing.there are also fusible links that must be there(horn relay connections)and might be melted or bypassed.check your wires carefully and you might be better off just buying a new engine harness and all will be good..they are not that expensive and you and your car will be safe.

67' Vert RS Tremec TKO- Eaton 3:55- 350 cu.- L98 heads-Vintage Air- Torque Thrust-BFG.g-force 4-wheel disc.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 07:01 PM
Tech Team

The rubber gromets on the regulator are well nuts. You can get replacements at any auto parts store. As for the red wire smoking you have a short some were. I have had that happen with a short in the alternator.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

You could have blown a fusible link. They are safety devices that protect the wiring in case of major shorts. There is one attached to the horn relay (see pic) If it is blown, you will need to find the short before replacing.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help!

The strange thing is living in LA, I have a ton of Auto places availible, but when I told them about the regulator rubber pieces...nobody knew what I was talking about...

Thanks for giving me a jumping off point...I think I'm definately going to just go with a whole new harness to avoid future problems...it sounds like it might be the best solution so as not to have another short somewhere down the line, being that the wiring is 40 years old.

Thanks again!

David
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 09:03 PM
Tech Team

From what you say it seem like the new horn relay is miswired because you did not have this problem before you started. I would first disconnect the dark green wire and the 20awg wire from the horn relay than connect the battery back and see if you can hear the relay click on if it does not click on. Than connect the green wire to #3 connector and connect the blue wire to #2 and the #4 is for the keyminder used in a 69 camaro horn relay. This horn relay should work.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 08, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks doc...but I have a 67, and all I have are the two red wires, one with the fused link, a green wire, and a black...no blue?

But it all started after the car died and the wire to the original horn relay started smoking...the fused link wire...could that be the whole problem?

The other thing is, the new relay has no marking...and no instuctions...this really is what blew my mind...any thoughts?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 08, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

David,
Anytime anything smokes or burns, there is too much current for various reasons. For a 12g wire to burn, there is a short to ground somewhere.

You are going to have to isolate; i.e. disconnect part of the circuit and start from there. It is true you have 40 year old wires, but there is a good chance that something has been hacked along the way and it is just now coming to light (no pun intended).

Although my wiring is in good condition now, my main buss from battery to v reg was a mangled mess of backyard/motel parking lot-spliced-crap wrapped-in-a-ball and taped. I was doing better work than that at 12, so it was done by an 8 year old IMHO.

I took pictures of it but I am waiting for a thread of "Worst wiring found in a 1st gen" , because I know I will win.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Something to keep in mind:

This likely isn't a problem but I thought worth throwing out there that autozone or whoever may not actually provide the correct voltag reg. even though looks same from outside. I chased a confusing problem for weeks until I finally realized that the voltage reg. they gave me was not the same schematic as the original and terminals were not mated inside the unit like they should have been. One day I had a brainstorm thati if could be my issue and the continuity meter check finally proved this and all fell in place after that so don't trust buying a new one will be consistent 100% of time the one you removed.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 03:15 PM
Senior Tech
bill

67 had those stupid rubber things. 68-69 dont. you can take those out and just nut and bolt it to the rad support. keep that extra wire from underneath and bolt that up also. and clean rad support a little bit before you bolt it up.that way you got a good ground.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 08, 08:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The key minder system started in 68, and the horn relay you bought has that, but your car doesn't. Here's a pic of the horn relay, yours will be identical except you have no pink wire, so don't put anything in the connector where the pink wire goes.
https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...horn_relay.htm

The well nuts were used in 67-68, not 69. You can buy them at Ace Hardware.

The 67-68 regulator needs a ground wire, there is a terminal on the back where it attaches.
I've never seen or heard of a "different" mechanical regulator. To the best of my knowledge they are all the same and interchangeable.

I agree you had or have a serious short somewhere, and may have blown a fusible link.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode