69 Parking Light Short? Maybe? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69 Parking Light Short? Maybe?

Hello again all,
I've again turned to the experts. Ok, I don't know if you've read some of my other electrical problem posts but where I am now is my parking lights (the 3" round ones in front) only work when the hazzards are on. When I put the headlights on and just parking lights, nothing except the arrows on the dash both stay lit all the time. I checked with a volt meter at the wiring harness side of both of the plugs and I have 12 volts on both sides, then I re-connect the parking lights and pull the bulbs on the lights and check for voltage, I get 8.38 on the passengers and .38 on the drivers side. I'm assuming these should both read 12 volts. Could there possibly be a short in one of the light assemblies? Also, with the parking lights unplugged and I put the headlights on the directional lights on the dash don't come on anymore. They don't flash either when I depress the signal lever. I've triple checked all my grounds and they are solid. I'm just at a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: 69 Parking Light Short? Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochatea396 View Post
Hello again all,
I've again turned to the experts. Ok, I don't know if you've read some of my other electrical problem posts but where I am now is my parking lights (the 3" round ones in front) only work when the hazzards are on. When I put the headlights on and just parking lights, nothing except the arrows on the dash both stay lit all the time. I checked with a volt meter at the wiring harness side of both of the plugs and I have 12 volts on both sides, then I re-connect the parking lights and pull the bulbs on the lights and check for voltage, I get 8.38 on the passengers and .38 on the drivers side. I'm assuming these should both read 12 volts. Could there possibly be a short in one of the light assemblies? Also, with the parking lights unplugged and I put the headlights on the directional lights on the dash don't come on anymore. They don't flash either when I depress the signal lever. I've triple checked all my grounds and they are solid. I'm just at a loss.
Did a search....found this...maybe this will fix your problem???...

The flasher relay on the fuse block is for the emergency flasher. There is another flasher relay (turn signal) up under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. About where the radio is. You don't have to pull anything apart (dash). It looks just like the emergency flasher. I just did this to mine (69) yesterday.

Replacing the relays will at least eliminate them as the problem.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 05:27 PM
Senior Tech
Billy Morris

You have a bad ground. Check the ground wire on the header panel. There are a couple of the groung terminals that connect to the header panel. If that doesn't fix the problem you probably have a bad park light assembly as these were not very reliable. Check our driving light kits for your Camaro.
Morris Classic Concepts

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
Billy Morris

69 Parking Light Short? Maybe?

Good point David.
I didn't think that far into it.

Billy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks again guys for all the help. I'll remove all the grounds and make sure they have a good metal to metal contact. Also, I noticed the parking lights don't have a ground wire on them. Is the whole parking light body the ground when it bolts to the lower header panel? I did notice alot of epoxy primer around where the nuts are, perhaps there's too much and the nuts can't make the ground they are suppose to? Thats if the body of the light is in fact it's ground. But even with the parking lights disconnected and the dash lights go out, I still should have signals, right? Nothing. Is there anything in the column that could cause this, I know there is a signal harness, it all seemed in tact but looks can be deceiving. I'm sure everyone on this site will rejoice when I get my electrical all working. You guys have been a great help.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 06:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Star washers are your friend here. They will cut thru the paint and give you a good ground. Both parking lights have thier own ground wire.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 06:09 PM
Senior Tech
David

quote.....

"Also, I noticed the parking lights don't have an ground wire on them. Is the whole parking light body the ground when it bolts to the lower header panel?

My parking lights on my 69 function properly and do not have an external(i.e. a wire other than original plug) ground wire attached to them, just the plug from the wiring harness.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

Last edited by 1969ProStreetCamaro; Jan 22nd, 08 at 06:16 PM. Reason: clarification
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Star washers are your friend here. They will cut thru the paint and give you a good ground. Both parking lights have thier own ground wire.
Hey Jim,
For future reference,if the ground wires are not located at the parking lamp housing, where are they? Somewhere else in the wiring harness perhaps?

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 06:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I`m thinking the lights only have 2 wires. One is for running lights and the other is the blinker. The ground is the housing to the valance. Maybe I am wrong???

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
David

Hey Mike what's goin' on?

I just looked at my parking light housings on my 69 and can't find a ground wire at the housing anywhere either...

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 07:30 PM
Senior Tech

For 69, they ground through the housing/stud/valence, like the 67 and 68 RS lights. So if the mounting stud gets really corroded, or the housing is really corroded, or there's thick paint on the valence, you can have ground issues.

67 and 68 standard front parking lights are grille mounted and do have a ground wire.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 08:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I'm wondering if those are known good light bulbs (both filaments) you are using? I have done dumber things.

Jeff
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 10:47 PM
Tech Team

The housing for the parking lamp asembly MUST have a good solid ground or it won't work. The mounting studs are used for grounding the housing so make sure is all making good ground connection so remove the paint and add a star washer to insure a good ground connection. Measure the ground connection from the negative post of you batery to the parking light housing using DVM. it should measure Zero Ohms.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 08, 10:48 PM
Tech Team

n
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode