CarDefender security system? Anyone? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Matt

CarDefender security system? Anyone?

Has anyone installed a CarDefender system in their Camaro? It looks pretty cool.

I want a security system on the car, but I don’t want an alarm system. I like the idea of the CarDefender system because it disables the car. You need to have a key fob to enable the car (tied into the coil or fuel pump, etc.). The system uses a transponder key and a hidden transceiver. You have to place the transponder key near the transceiver before you can start the engine.

http://www.cardefender.com/

I’m thinking I could hide the transceiver in the console. That way, my wife wouldn’t even know how to start the car.

I know a thief could get it if they really wanted it, but it’s better than nothing.

Are there any other similar security systems? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: CarDefender security system? Anyone?

yes it is fine if you worried about wife or kid driving car and putting it back in garage without you knowing. but a thief wil run a clip to dizzy and to battery and jump the starter with a screw driver and drive away.that system wont tell you car is moving. lo jack got 2 systems. when you find car missing than you report it. other is when car mising report it but also tells you when car is moving it sends you a signal to your key pad.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 08, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Re: CarDefender security system? Anyone?

If you don't want an alarm, there are plenty of ways to secure; i.e., prevent the car from starting easy for $10 in parts.

A heavy SPST relay in series with the neutral safety circuit, coil supply, etc.
The energizing coil on the relay could be triggered by a momentary pushbutton hidden, or two pushbuttons in series in different locations hidden, by a radio pushbutton, turnsignal lever, fan switch, the possibilities are endless. It would slow a pro thief down a bit.

I installed an alarm myself, b/c I wanted auto door locks, trunk pop and I have an empty channel on the remote that I will wire to my RS light motors for grins.

Whatever direction you take I recommend sticking with the starter circuit. The coil or fuel pump could leave you in a bad situation if it wacked out at 70 mph, or at another critical time.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode