Console guages and Tick-toc tac - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Console guages and Tick-toc tac

I want to convert to console guages and a tick-toc-tac. Looking thru all the catalogs avalable I suspect I need to change the engine harness, dash harness and the console harness. Has anyone out there done this conversion? What all need to be changed? What did it cost to do this conversion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 06:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Re: Console guages and Tick-toc tac

I changed all wiring on my 67 and added the tach/guages. Assue you have a 68 which should be similar. There is a patch harness for the gauges to the dash harness (I didnt do that) to allow reuse of the dash harness which is expensive to replace. But you'll need the engine harness(s) for the ammeter wire and tach feed to do it properly. Not sure if the patch handles the tach input to speedo pod come to think of it...

I would call american autowire or your favorite vendor and talk to a salesperson/tech.

It costs whatever all the harness' add up to. $300+?

http://www.americanautowire.com/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
john

about $1000

console gauges
tach
wiring
temp sending unit

Remember,I'm not making this stuff up!

1969 rs/ss 396 350hp/4spd conv a/c,pw,ps,foldown
1968 Z/28 crossram- j/l8 conv pw,ps,foldown
1963 nova ss 350/4spd conv a/c,ps,pt
1963 nova 400 4dr 6cyl/700r4 a/c
2006 GT/5spd mustang conv

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

By patch harness I assume you are refuring to the conversion harness listed in Rick's NPD and others. Good idea I will call them to see if I need any other harnesses besides the console harness. Oh and by the way mine is 68. Thanks for your input.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 08:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

Yea the conversion harness...AAW discussion may be more meaningful than any middle vendor. Typically same price. I think the underdash harness with fuse box is close to $375 by itself?
I assumed you had the tach and gauges already!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 10:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

I did the Conversion. Contact American Autowire and they will convert your Dash Harness for a Factory Gauge Setup. You will have to purchase the extention harness, but the way they assemble your harness, you would think that it is a Factory harness. I also has them add the connectors for the Under Dash Courtesy Lights. You will also need a New Console Harness, Engine harness and Front Light harness. You will need a brass Fitting for the Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge on top of the block, in back of the Distributor, Temperature Sending Unit and the Fuel gauge Sending Unit is the same.
If you need a Factory Tach and Console Gauges, I have an extra set.

http://www.americanautowire.com/

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 12:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

engine harness is the same, front lighting hanress is different for the ammeter. The conversion harness incluses these wires so you can get away without changing out the whole harness,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

I'm going to be adding a dash tach and console gauges to my 67, I plan to use the factory console housing but aftermarket gauges. Does it make sense to buy the plug in console gauge conversion harness for this or only if you're using factory gauges?
I'll be replacing both my light harness and engine harness(hei and factory guages) at the same time so the additional circuits will be there for the stock gauge inputs.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I appresiate all the feed back. I don't realy want to strip out all my harnesses and replace them because of the cost and mine are in exceptionally good condithion. The conversion harness sounds like the way to go for me. I just wanted to know if it was an add on to what I already have. I called Ricks and they confirmed that it was, but is not correct for a full reto. My engine compartment isn't original anyway so this harness is for me. To replace all the haresses, new guages, curcuit board etc... would be approx $1500; to do with the coversion harness about $900-$1000 not including shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode