melting wires - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

melting wires

After trying to salvage a hacked up light harness to my 68, I hooked up the battery and fried the wire from the battery to the alt.(internal). It didnt affect any of the red wiring going to the horn relay or starter but completely melted the red wire from the battery to the junction and the red wire to the alternator? Serves me right for not putting a fusible link from the battery to the junction. Nevertheless, I would like to fire the engine to see if it runs and track down the electrical gremlins there later. Can I simply run a 10 gauge red from the battery through a fusible link to the juntion, then run a temporary 10 gauge red straight to the horn relay to crank the engine up? I would assume that if something is still not right, it will fry the fusible link on the horn relay heading out to the fuse box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder
Re: melting wires

you'll want to remove the remnants of that alternator wire and leave the alternator disconnected, but yeah, that sounds like a safe plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Regardless whether you had a fusible link in it or not, wire would have burned up any way.

I would replace the burnt wire, disconnect the alt, as it probably has internal damage or the insulator for the B+ stud is broke, and run the engine as it. you could hook up an external battery charger while running to do any breaking in or other stuff.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 08, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I took the red 10 gauge alternator wire off the junction and hooked up the battery and everything was cool. I had lights and power to start the car. I took the alt to have it tested and it was ok. I figured everything was good, ran a new red from the junction to the alt and when I hooked up the battery, the fusible link at the battery and the battery itself started to smoke and sizzle. How could this be if the alt is fine? I have the battery negative connected to a bolt that the alt is mounted to the engine with. Does that matter? Is the test lying to me?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 08, 05:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Something sure is. Do you have an ohmmeter?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 08, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes, but I havent used it that much.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 08, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

How is your grounds?

Your battery is connected to a bolt on the chassis? Or engine?

I had this trouble once and I ran a braided strap from the motor to the chassis, tapped the hole and torqued it down but good. I did the same from transmission to chassis too.

After that, no more problems.

It also made it to where my starter ran better. Sometimes the the starter would smoke and I could never figure out why. I added those very solid grounds and it seemed to do the trick.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 08, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech

Bad grounds will certainly cause problems, but not burned wires. Burning wires are a sign of a direct short to ground somewhere, so the grounds must be good to carry that much current. It's true that bad grounds can lead to smoke as a result of heating at the point of the bad connection. But for a main power feed to burn up like that something is serously shorted.

Wheezer, are you saying that if the engine is not running that everything is fine, but once it's started things start to burn up? I suppose the alternator could be over charging...but dang I wouldn't think it would have enough oumph to burn wires like that.

You might try the old test lamp trick. Disconnect the negative cable and insert a test lamp between the cable and the negative post. Try to isolate things that cause the lamp to glow. I'm begining to think your short is in the IGN power source which would make it misbehave only when the key is switched on.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode