New Alternator attachment - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

New Alternator attachment

I thought I was buying a CS style alternator from Jegs. Its actually a powermaster. I bought the CS conversion kit from Autowire. the connector is not the same as what is on the alternator. The alternator has two lugs side by side plus the battery connection. Anybody know if this will work with a 69? If so how do you wire it up?
Thanks, and here is what I bought except polished.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_399312_-1

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder
Re: New Alternator attachment

What powermaster model number is it, 27295? 27295 is a 12SI, not a CS. Sounds like you already noticed that .

You should be able to get a 12SI pigtail at AutoZone and splice it into the AAW harness. Terminal 1 (closest to the BAT terminal on the alternator) goes to your GEN light which is usually a brown wire. Terminal 2 goes to battery power preferably at the horn relay but some people just loop it to the BAT terminal, and it's usually a red wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Rodder
Yes it is a 27295 so I got an SI. I only have a blue and white wire at the Alternator and the red batt wire of coarse. How about the wires at the voltage regualtor. This alternator has an internal regulator, right?

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 05:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

There are a couple of articles in the electrical basics sticky on converting from an external reg alt to an SI.

Short version: get the right connector for the blue and white wires.
Unplug the reg, and on the connector you took off, jumper the top to the bottom, and the middle two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech

Send it back and get a CS. I know your anxious to get it going but the CS alternator is a better choice.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Anybody know the part number of the Jegs Powermaster polished alternator that is a CS130 that has 100 or 105 Amps? I don't want the 140 amp. To much power I fear for my circuits.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech

The power won't hurt you. Your alternator will only put out what it needs to. The only concern I'd have is if the 140 alternator is physically different causing fitment issues. Otherwise you don't have to worry about frying stuff because your alternator is too big. It is a voltage regulated device so it'll only deliver as much current as it needs to keep the voltage in spec.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

I have read other threads on this forum that says at a minimum you need to have a larger main wire (8 GA) going out of the alternator to the junction. Possibly even installing a fuse in between. Jegs sells one just for this purpose. Is there a 100 or 105 Amp CS series Alternator or do I just use the SI I have?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 08, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

I called powermaster and they do make a CS130 at 105 Amps. The next question is do I want a 3 wire or 1 wire version. On the one wire he sai you just attach the battery lead and you don't use the Blue and white wires on the Alternator. He also said you disconnect the external regulator. Does this sound right. It sounds really simple to me. Any suggestion on whether to buy the one wire or 3 wire version?
Thanks

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 08, 11:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

People have had trouble with the one wires sometimes not wanting to charge at idle. Also, they won't run your gen light.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 08, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

So the three wire is your choice Jim. Can you point me to directions to wiring the thing. I bought a wiring connector and adapter from American autowire. It adapts to the connector on the alternator to one wire which may not be the right one. The other device plugs into the Voltage regulator harness and seems to jumper some of the lines together. Are these what I need?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 08, 03:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

What you would need has 2 peices.
1 plugs into the regulator harness connector, and yes, it jumpers some wires together.
The other has a plug with || on one end that plugs into the plug that went into your old alternator and the other end has a plug like -- that plugs into the new 3 wire alternator.

With anything more than 60 amps, I'd at the least run a second wire from the alternator pos lug to the horn relay.

If I did not have a factory ammeter, I'd run another from the horn relay to the junction block behind the battery.

I would connect any high draw accessories, such as electric fans or fuel pump, to the horn relay.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 08, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Jim
Is there a more formal instruction on how to do this somewhere. I want to make sure I jumper the correct voltage regulator wires together also. JEGS sells a kit which I bought for this purpose. Let me know what you think of this? http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...alternator+kit

Or just type in hi output alternator kit in the Jegs search field
Is this the two position connector I need?
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_470361_-1

I went to the american autowire website. They make a bunch of conversion kits. http://www.americanautowire.com/Alte...sion_Kits.html
I think it should be P/N 37787 by your description but that says it is a SI series Alternator. I need a cs type which is 37787 which is the one I bought. Confusion reigns.
BTW, the electric fans are connected to the battery thru a relay and fuse.

Last edited by MileHigh69; Feb 4th, 08 at 05:06 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 08, 11:58 PM
Senior Tech

so do you have the CS 105 amp alternator yet? if not, either exchange your SI alternator or your AAW adapter, so that both the adapter and alternator are the same

I looked at the AAW site for a minute and it looks like you bought the right kit #37787 (not #27555 which would be for a SI style alternator)
So you should be able to bolt the alternator in place, plug the adapter into the alternator and the factory alternator harness, then plug the jumper piece in place of the external regulator (you do not need to worry about jumping the correct wires, the piece from AAW takes care of that for you)

Then you need to do something about the large red wire, the output wire I see 2 easy options:
1) If you do not have a ammeter add, add an 8 gauge (10 would probably be ok) wire from the terminal on the alternator to the battery.
2)If you do have a factory ammeter, you will still need to add a wire but it will have to connect from the alternator to the junction block on the horn relay (so that you ammeter will still operate correctly)

well I guess there is an option #3 that is to remove the factory charge wire and replace it with the wire you add, I recommend a 4 gauge (8 gauge would work). Do not do this if you have an ammeter

hope i was helpful
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 08, 04:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yes, what he said.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode