Can you charge your battery with these ? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jerry R.

Can you charge your battery with these ?

A guy I know told me he keeps his car battery plugged into one of these all winter , that they make a great trickle charger.
Its a charger for a Motorola two way radio.
This one says 13.8 volt output @ 0.9 amps.
He splices in small clamps like the ones on your batt. charger and its ready to go.

Any input ?

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jr68; Feb 22nd, 08 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 07:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage
Re: Can you charge your battery with these ?

I have 5 battery maintainers I bought at Harbor Freight for $4.99 ea. I have one on each of my cars. One of my vehicles is only started ~ twice a year & it has a 5 year old Napa gell filled battery. Anyways, all my cars start right up. Never have a dead or low battery. They work great! (the harbor freight battery maintainers). They will NOT charge a battery. They will maintain a charged battery though.

Last edited by 1968RallySport; Feb 1st, 08 at 07:46 PM. Reason: additional comment
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jerry R.

I said that wrong , I meant can they keep a battery charge ( or maintain one )
aren't these then essentially the same thing as the Harbor Freight maintainers ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 08, 08:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage

I couldn't say for sure. The Harbor Freight ones have a little electronic black box inline with the charging leads. I think the box "pulsates" the voltage to prevent battery sulfation?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech

Even though it looks the same, your and your buddy are taking a chance. The battery maintainers are not wired the same as a typical wall-wart. It would be quite easy to exceed the 0.9A rating you said your wall-wart has and melt it down. A wall-wart is essentially a voltage regulated power supply. You need current regulation also.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Buy a trickle charger for a battery. The trickle charger will shut off at a predetermined level (say 12.9v), and won't re-engage until the battery drops off to ~12.3v. (these v+ are approximate and vary from make to make)

12.6v is a fully charged battery (2.1v/ cell)

A universal power supply will just sit there and cook the battery over time.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

I'd use the Motorola charger if I had or needed one. You're not going to harm the battery with less than an amp charging current, and if the power supply crowbars you aren't going to hurt anything. What's the difference between the 13-14 volts your alternator charges the battery with and the 13-14 volts this Motorola device puts out, other than the alternator can put out 50 times as much current?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jerry R.

I haven't used it yet. I saw it sitting in a cabinet and wondered if I should throw it away or use it. I appreciate the input so far, some good info.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
I'd use the Motorola charger if I had or needed one. You're not going to harm the battery with less than an amp charging current, ...?
It's not the battery you need to worry about, it's the charger. It may be rated for 1Amp, but you can try to pull more and see what happens. How much current it attempts to deliver is a function of the battery. I've seen plenty of wall warts melt down. You'd hate to have a fire or damage to you stuff because you were too cheap to buy a proper charger.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech

If you're worried about burning up the charger, put a current limiter in series with it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jerry R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
You'd hate to have a fire or damage to you stuff because you were too cheap to buy a proper charger.
I wouldn't say I'm too cheap to buy a proper charger I only thought it would be a slick little outfit to trickle a little juice into my dormant battery during the winter , and wanted to run it by you guys cuz I knew there were a whole bunch of guys here who knew way more than I do about electricity.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 08, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr68 View Post
I wouldn't say I'm too cheap to buy a proper charger I only thought it would be a slick little outfit to trickle a little juice into my dormant battery during the winter , and wanted to run it by you guys cuz I knew there were a whole bunch of guys here who knew way more than I do about electricity.
No offense meant. Typed words sound harsh. Just trying to point out a not so obvious possibility.

Dave
========================
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 08, 08:41 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr68 View Post
That type of charger is meant for that use. Its better and safer to use the correct type of charger. I use this one http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult
It's not the battery you need to worry about, it's the charger.
Correct. Even with the battery just a little low, the charger would be at max output for a very long time, which it was not designed for.

Greg U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode