67 wiring harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
s4h
Senior Tech
Scott

67 wiring harness

Has anyone ever attempted to rebuild their factory wiring harness? I thought about just buying a new after market one. I figured before I buy one I would like to try and rewire my original. Any sugestions, comments, thoughts, tips. Would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 02:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: 67 wiring harness

I rebuilt my engine and lighting harnesses. Unwrapped, cleaned, repaired / spliced any bad wires, replaced a few terminals that were too corroded to keep, and rewrapped in no stick tape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
s4h
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks Jim

I was thinking of going that route. I figure I will replace any wires that even look borderline.
Better to stick with something that allready is the right length and has all the correct plugs.
Plus it will not cost as much. Then I can spend the money I save on everything else I need.

Scott

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 08, 04:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The terminals that are used in most of the connectors are listed in the old paper book at Napa. They can get them, but have to order a box of 100. I got lucky, my Napa had enough in stock for what I needed.

Sand one end of a paperclip flat, you can slide that into the connectors to release the clips that hold the ternials in, then either clean them or replace them as need. Be sure to bend the clip back out so the terminal will lock when you slip it back in.

The clips are attached to a long peice of plastic that is wrapped up inside the harness to make it stronger. Rick's has clips that are close enough, but not identical. Don't break the one on the alternator.

Before you unwrap the harness, stretch it out straight and get a ruler, measure where every branch is and write up a map so you can get it like it was. Pay attention to how the wrap goes on, particularly how they secured the ends. Most of it is one long peice of tape, they go out a branch and come back in and continue down the main harness. That way the end doesn't unravel

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

If your harness isn't in bad shape, I would rebuild it. Almost all my wiring was butchered beyond repair so I had to go the new harness route.

Just be super careful when you are removing the engine and light harnesses from the firewall. On a 67 there are just a couple of plastic tabs that hold the harness to the firewall junction and they are super easy to break.

If you break them, you are going to have a bear of a time keeping the harnesses attached.

Jim's advice is super too. I would take tons of pictures and you should have no surprises when it comes to putting everything back together.

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it

Rebuilt it

Almost done
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
s4h
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks Guys, Great info.
Scott
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech

I've rebuilt my own from spare harnesses that I salvaged from parts cars. I swapped out all of the bad wires with good used ones. Once on a 68 I added extras in the blank slots of the fuse box and converted it to use a 67 factory tach and gauges.

Ron
The “

An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 08, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
s4h
Senior Tech
Scott

Thanks Geezer

I would like to do this myself. Mostly cause it would be easy enough and there are plenty of other areas i need to spend money on the car. The body and paint are complete along with the motor. But everything else has to be finished. If I can ever figure out how to post pics on this site, I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode