Distributor caps - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Distributor caps

I have a MSD 8360 distributor in my car and when I went get a replacement cap for it, I looked it up in the little manual that came with it, the p/n for the distributor cap call out said, 8433.
So I went down to the local store to get one, found that part number and noticed it has something a tiny bit different.

There is a black button like thing on top of the cap. I didn't open the package to see if it actually is a button but I can't imagine it is one because why would any distributor need a button there? I've had my distributor apart and changed the springs and such and can see no reason that would be there. I know its not a button, it just looks like one. Still, can't see a reason for it for my application and so I'm not sure if I have the right part in mind.
What is that black button looking thing? My current cap doesn't have that.

Its probly obvious to most of you here on TC but not me.

Last edited by mkpatrick; Feb 10th, 08 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech
geneo

Re: Distributor caps

I think its call a carbon button, stock GM caps have them.... Check MSD web site for the part number cap and or dist you have
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

It's a vent to let moisture out of the cap.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 06:58 PM

P/N 8435 was replaced by 8433, both are red, the 8433 has the vent button, 8435 does not.

To be even more confusing, MSD also has the same cap as the 8433 in BLACK, P/N 84333.

These caps all interchange, as does a Standard Blue Streak p/n DR429 cap for stock GM distributors with the window adjustment in them, and others.

Regards,

Milton
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 08, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

OK cool.

I went out and got the 8433.

Now here is one more question......

There are provisions to screw down the cap as opposed to the clamps that I've always used in the past.
Is there any advantage to screwing down the cap?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 11:50 AM

On some MSD distributors, the retention is by the screw, and not the "bent nail". MSD gives you the choice. Most distributors use the bent nail, and have no problems with that method.

Regards,

Milton
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's advocate View Post
On some MSD distributors, the retention is by the screw, and not the "bent nail". MSD gives you the choice. Most distributors use the bent nail, and have no problems with that method.

Regards,

Milton
No advantage to the screw?

To screw or not to screw......

That is the question......
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 08, 08:28 PM

GM point distributors with the window for point adjustment use the bent nails. Some after market distributors use the screws, most use the bent nail. MSD gives you the option of bolt or bent nail, because their caps will fit both types of their distributors, and stock ones.

Regards,

Milton
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 08, 11:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

There you have it folks. Everything you ever wanted to know about distributor caps! Well, maybe not,,,,

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode