Duel cooling fans enough for a BB? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Duel cooling fans enough for a BB?

Just wondering if a duel 2500CFM electric fans are enough to cool say 600 hp BB using a 23" core radiator. I was looking at the duel 11" spal.

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Duel cooling fans enough for a BB?

Duel fans are those who enjoy watching a fight. Dual fans would be a pair of air movers.

The dual 11"' setup should be quite sufficient, because when you are making 600 hp your fans will not be in play.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

So would it be better than a 18" flex Derale fan with a shroud? Besides the HP gain?

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech

The fans you have there should work plenty fine. If you have any problems, I'd focus on the radiator core itself, but I don't see any reason to anticipate problems.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

I too was concerned with cooling (gets pretty hot here in the summer sometimes 110) and coupled with the Los Angeles traffic all the more so. I went with most cooling I could get:

Ron Davis Radiator dual pass radiator with Dual Spal 13" fans.
Stewart Components Stage II water pump
Robert Shaw thermostat (available from Stewart Components).

I went with this based on a recommendation from a engine builder based in Las Vega Nevada that claimed he never saw over 180 on his high hp big block in the Las Vegas summer.

The dual Spal fans, Stewart Water pump, Robert Shaw Thermostat and Ron Davis radiator seems to be the trick setup for cooling, especially if you are making horsepower and are concerned with overheating idling along in traffic in the summer.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 08, 05:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: Duel cooling fans enough for a BB?

Besides the spal fans, you can fit a LT1 or LS1 dual fan unit (4th gen F-body) to your 23 inch radiator and it works great! Some light trimming of the fan bracket and homemade brackets on the bottom. For the top I used the original shroud bracket. Here are a couple of pictures.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode