Horn not working, 67 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
Horn not working, 67 Camaro

I have a deluxe wheel in my 67 Camaro, and ever since I've had the car the horn as not worked.

So this weekend, I found the parts I bought years ago to fix the issue. I replaced the horn contact, the little spring/plunger that goes in that contact, horn button, rubber retainer ring, and that metal piece with the three holes that screws onto the center of the steering wheel that olds the rubber retainer ring. I looked under the hood, and there was no wire going to the horn. I looked under the hood of my 69 C-10 and there was a green wire that ran to the horn, so I looked again on my car, and someone had cut the end off of it, and left it dangling there. I put a new end on it, connected it to the horn, and hooked the battery up. I got in the car and tried it out, and it wouldn't do anything. Does anyone have a diagram of how this assembly goes together in the column? My 67 assembly manual didn't have a good picture for my type of wheel, it only had one for the 3 spoke wood wheel. I am pretty sure it could only go together one way, but I may have messed something up during assembly. Thanks.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast
Re: Horn not working, 67 Camaro

I don't have a diagram handy, but remember there is a horn relay on the left side (sitting in car) of the radiator. If it's not clicking when you hit the horn then you might start there.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

So try a clip lead (test wire) between the plunger contact and center steering nut, let me know what happens.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 08, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

Thanks for the advice, I'll try both of those when I get home this weekend. I didn't hear a clicking sound when I pressed the horn button.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 08, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Andy

I put the new horn relay on this weekend, and I still don't hear a clicking sound when i press the horn button. I ran a wire directly from the hot side of the battery to the horn, and got no sound. I guess the horn is bad.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Sounds like you have two problems as the horn should work and the relay should click. For the horn, take it out, connect it to the battery (fused w/20A preferably) and whack the edge on a piece of wood a few times. See if it starts working. There is a contact inside that gets dirty over time. Whacking it frees it up at least half the time.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 05:31 AM

Hi to all, I have the situation that CHOPS had mentioned, I make contact from the plunger to the steering nut and BEEP it goes. I can't for the life of me figure out why it doesn't work when I put the horn ring and cap on. Any help would be appreciated.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech
ADAM

here 's your basic wiring for hornhttp://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/70-engwire.jpg

the little copper pin on the cancelling cam has 12v on it ,when you ground it( the black wire at horn relay it should send 12v to green wire at horn relay and the horn should honk. if it doesnt the relay is bad $20 at autozone easy to change. i know if the steering wheel is not on properly it is not pushing down the canceling cam to make contact with the pin

see this thread also
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121430

68 ss clone sbc350 tko600 chassisworks , 69 LSX454 bbc (in progress jakes), 70 rs 454 mp500efi
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 11:32 AM
Marc

You might want to check that the center wheel trim is grounded. On my 67 delux wheel I had to remove some of the paint where one of the screws attaches the trim ring to the wheel itself. If the trim ring does not have a good ground path when you push the button nothing will happen. The fact that it works when you jumper it to the wheel nut sounds like the trim ring does not have a good ground.

67 RS/SS 350 Bolero Red Vert.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 28th, 09, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

The easiest way to check the circuit from the horn button to the relay is to use a multimeter. Pull the plug off the horn relay by the radiator. It will be the black(?) one. Put one meter lead in the plug. Put the other lead on a good ground....stick it in the battery negative clamp if you don't have alligator clips.

Now, put the meter on the fender where you can see it and set to read resistance. Push the horn button down and resistance should drop to zero. If not, you are missing a contact somewhere. It could be:
at the bulkhead connector,
the flat connector under the steering column,
the little metal base on the turn signal assembly that the horn contact goes into,
the small button spring that seats in the turn signal assembly,
the cam ring,
the plunger that sticks up and contacts the horn button,
or just a horn button assembly that is not grounded.

If you do not have ground at the black wire when you push the horn, then start probing from the bulkhead back. Make a little jumper wire to stick in the black wire's connector and connect it to ground. Start probing the connections I listed above and see if you get low resistance to ground.....both sides of the flat black connector, the little button underneath the cam that contacts the cam ring, assemble the cam on the column and test the plunger, etc.

The green wire carries twelve volts to the horn from the relay. If everything is good with your ground wire (horn button circuit), reconnect the black wire to the relay and have someone push the horn button while you check for twelve volts on the terminal that the green wire plugs into.

Also, if the horn has been replaced at some time. It may have two terminals. One has to be grounded. Old horns grounded through the body of the horn via the mounting bolt but a lot of newer ones do not.

How do I know this? Mine was missing the cam and the plunger, the spring in the turn signal assembly was collapsed so the button didn't contact the underside ring of the new cam, the horn relay was bad, and I had to get new horns.

The car never had a horn from the time I bought it in '93, so every time I have the battery hooked up to test some of the electrical I've been doing I just have to hit the horn a couple of times before I disconnect the battery.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; May 29th, 09 at 01:12 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 05:02 AM

thank you very much for the feedback, I am going to troubleshoot it witihin the next week and post my results as to what it took to rectify it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 05:26 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anX22MAN View Post
thank you very much for the feedback, I am going to troubleshoot it witihin the next week and post my results as to what it took to rectify it.
Your problem just sounds like the horn ring or button that touches the plunger is not grounded. You may have to make a small wire and connect your button/ring to the plate in the column assembly. Yuu want to screw it to something that is going to turn with the wheel so that it doesn't twist off.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode