r/s reverse lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 08, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

r/s reverse lights

hi i need some help i have a 69 r/s and have no reverse light switch on my muncie 4-speed nor is there any wiring .need a switch and harness and also diagram of where this harness installs.it has a factory console with gauges if that matters and i beleive it is a factory four speed but not for sure.thanks for any help crazyrs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 08, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Re: r/s reverse lights

Ive read a lot of the posts on here and it seems a lot of people removed the linkage for reverse to get their headers to fit. Since Im still using headers as well I think I might have to fabricate my own switch or retrofit one of the switches that attatches to the shifter. But Im not sure what to do either yet. For me its not as pressing since I am still assembling my motor. Im sure others will have some suggestions. Let us know what you do to get it working.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 08, 05:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harvard

If you don't have one. get the 69 AIM. It will show you what you need and where it goes. The 69 switch is in column somewhere.

1968 Z28 British Green, all original except CE 302 engine. Have original owners booklet and protect-o-plate.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 08, 05:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

i used one of these on my 69.. Works great..

http://www.firewheelclassics.com/sto...ID=&SKU=TRN248
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 08, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

did you use it with your factory shifter ? looks really easy but states not for use with factory shifter thanks crazyrs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 08, 05:27 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

I think they mean the standard factory shifter. It should fit the STOCK Hurst Competition Shifter. Which did you have?

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 08, 05:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

That Hurst switch attached with the rear stop bolt on the shifter. I've heard that factory round stick hurst shifters don't have stop bolts?
If that's the case, there is no where to attach that switch.

The backup lights on a stick 69 were actuated by a "backdrive linkage" which kinda looks like a miniture clutch linkage, but attached to the reverse rod. This same mechanism was also used to lock the shifter in reverse when you took the key out. It was common to remove it when installing headers.

Alternative #1: Work em by hand. There is a "collar" at the base of the steering column, out from the dash but behind where the key is. It turns.If you turn it to the right place, the backup lights will come on.

Alternative #2: wire it up like a 68, with a 68 switch and linkj, and extend the sires down to it. Your stock switch is on the top of the column, down toward the firewall, inside the car. The wires are pink and green. Extend em down to the trans mounted switch.

Alternative #3: Use the hurst switch if your shifter has stop bolts, same wiring as #2

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 08, 02:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Some handy wiring answers here http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/

67 - Coupe - Bahama Blue, 427 SBC, TKO 600, Hotchkis TVS, Eaton Posi / 4.11
-------------------------------

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 08, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech
dan

I did this last weekend. It's easy. I have a hurst shifter/with the stop bolt. Locate the reverse switch on the column. It's on the top of the steering column just before the column goes into the firewall. you should have a two pronged plug coming from the upper column down to and plugged into that switch. remove the plug. connect two wires to the plug and then to the switch. test prior to putting the switch on the shift linkage. Make sure you have bulbs in the back. Now the column rotates. unlock the column with the key. ie first postion. and you now can twist the column above the dash. look at the lower switch while you do this. You'll see a tab come across the lower switch and make elec. contact. You can test to see if your reverse wiring is ok by placing bulbs in and with the lower switch still plugged in, when you rotate the column the lights should come on. If that works, just connect up the trans switch, as described before, protect the wires so they don't melt and Make sure you rotate the column back counterclockwise. If you don't you will not be able to take the key out and or lock the steering column..Also note the stop bolt on the trans shifter. you want that to go back to its original position. If you don't have the bolt, I imagine you can easily weld the switch retaining tab onto the shifter housing..hope it helps. oh make sure you clean the bulb sockets to get a good connection. they have prob. been sitting there w/o bulbs for years. Goog luck. pm me if you get stuck..dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode