Pulsating Lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 08, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Russ

Pulsating Lights

Anyone have any idea what would cause the lights to pulsate on a 1967 rs camaro. At an idle the tail lights and headlights will pulsate slowly getting dim then bright and the frequency will increase as the rpm of the engine increases. The ground straps are installed from the frame to the engine and an extra ground wire added to make sure it is grounded. Any help would be appreciated.

Russ
'67 4 speed coupe
'67 rs coupe
'94 6 speed z-28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 08, 01:20 PM
Gold Member
Todd

Re: Pulsating Lights

Last time I had that issue, regulator took a dump.
Wouldn't hold a consistant 13.5-13.75 volts.
I'd start with a volatge test at the battery car running everything on.

69Z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 08, 05:26 PM

This is a common issue with older points regulators, and is eliminated with the new retrofit electronic ones. Try checking all the wires first, then, Auto-Zone, ask for a Wells VR715, they aren't expensive.

Regards,

Milton

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 08, 09:38 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's advocate View Post
This is a common issue with older points regulators, and is eliminated with the new retrofit electronic ones. Try checking all the wires first, then, Auto-Zone, ask for a Wells VR715, they aren't expensive.

Regards,

Milton
Not sure I buy into that. I have an MSD RTR and have replaced the VR with the Wells unit an still have the "pulse".

-Funk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 06:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

OK NEXT: lets go on I may learn some thing hear.

PRO.ST69orange

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech

The alternator has 3 windings that each feed into a diode trio to convert 3 phase AC into DC. If one or more of those diodes open up, you might see some pulsating along with poor charging performance (cut by 1/3 to 2/3 depending on how many diodes are affected).

Can you take your alternator to a reputable parts supplier and have them check it out? If a diode has failed, I'd expect it to show up on a bench test. If it passes all tests, then get that VR715 and see if that fixes your issue (might want to get one anyway).

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Russ

It is not my car it is a friends car. I sent him an email with a link to this thread so hopefully he will chime in and we can help fix his problem.

Russ
'67 4 speed coupe
'67 rs coupe
'94 6 speed z-28
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 05:31 AM

I be the guy with the pulsating lights. I have just returned from Florida on a little r & r and will try your suggestions this weekend and let you know the outcome. I thank all for your advise.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 05:12 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome aboard Greg. Russ is ready to go for a ride

Hope you get it figured out.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 08:06 PM

"Not sure I buy into that. I have an MSD RTR and have replaced the VR with the Wells unit an still have the "pulse".".

Fix the connections in the wiring harness, clean the grounds and test the stator for intermittent rpm induced opens.

The distributor has NOTHING to do with regulator switching issues affecting the lights.

Regards,

Milton
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 08, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK

Quote:
"Not sure I buy into that. I have an MSD RTR and have replaced the VR with the Wells unit an still have the "pulse".".

Fix the connections in the wiring harness, clean the grounds and test the stator for intermittent rpm induced opens.

The distributor has NOTHING to do with regulator switching issues affecting the lights.

Regards,

Milton
Milton,

Care to translate that to English for me?

-Funk

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
...The distributor has NOTHING to do with regulator switching issues affecting the lights...

Regards,

Milton
Perhaps I missed something above - I don't think anything was said about a distributor. Perhaps you read about the "points style" regulator above and assumed the poster was talking about a distributor. There were talking about the OEM mechanical regulator.

While I can't say if a solid state regulator will fix the OP problem, I am quite confident that a solid state regulator will do a much better job of regulating voltage - so long as the alternator can keep up (can't make voltage that isn't there).

Dave
========================
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 06:08 PM

Aha...you are right, I had a rough day today, too many new drugs to buy for the pharmacies, and meant to mention that the new electronic regulators, like the VR715, don't turn the alternator on and off, like the older point ones did, but capture and hold the voltage steady. That would mean there could be a further problem within the alternator, in the stator and-or rotor, or in the wiring, connectors, grounds, all that other stuff.

Regards,

Milton.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 08, 12:22 PM

Well, I finally got a chance to work on my pulsating lights. After checking the the alternator, which was fine, it put on the VR715 and it worked. Thanks for the advise. Now, working on the tail lights. Have an idea where the wiring block is in the rear of the car? The wiring diagram says that both inboard and outboard tail light are suppose to do the same thing. With the lights on, I remove the inboard light and the high-side goes out. When I put it back in, the high-side comes on. Any ideas?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 08, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Body plug for the rear is behind the driver kick board. Brown wire is tailights. Blue & green are stoplights and each color a direction for turn signal.

Both blue & green go through the turn signal switch to interrupt stoplight to become turn signal selected. With a '67 and no back-up lights, only the outer bulbs are tail/stop lights. The inner bulb(s) are only tail lights. Also, front park lights go out with headlight selection.

I would check socket grounds in the trunk before going further. I believe the colors may be correct, however, you have the book in front of you, I'm going by memory and the wife suggests it may be fading fast.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode