Team Camaro Tech banner

Wiper motor!!!

40K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  partsguy57 
#1 ·
Well, that was fun. DSE, you don't get my $300, thank you very much.

Mat Klemp came over this morning with a goodie box, and 5 or 6 hours later there is a mid 80's Blazer / S10 wiper motor on my firewall!

It looks good, much smaller and cleaner than the original. Not quite sure if there is a speed difference between high and low, but it moves much faster than the original ever did, and it parks in the right place.

It did take some engineering, hopefully I got some good pics and I can manage to explain it properly so others can do it as well. The S10 powers the motor from the switch, backwards of the Camaro which provides a ground from the switch.

We actually went inside, removed the ground, and fed power to it there! We're running the motor backwards! But it doesn't care. We made 2 wiring changes inside the motor, and spliced it's connector onto the original wires, no changes under the dash, stock wiper switch and wiring still in place.

After I scroll thru the new posts for a while, I'll get some details and pictures up.

Mat, thanks a bunch, it was great to meetcha and work with ya!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Here's a pic of the almost finished product. I still need to tape the harness back up. Sometime soon, I'll get to covering the details on how.

No delay, and I'll have to rig a separate washer pump.

*** note that the purpose of this excercise was to use the original wiring and switch. There is no provision for delay here.
Also, for thos who want a delay, the delay version of this motor is larger, and will not clear a power brake booster.

#12 ·
Here's a pic of the almost finished product. I still need to tape the harness back up. Sometime soon, I'll get to covering the details on how.

No delay, and I'll have to rig a separate washer pump.

*** note that the purpose of this excercise was to use the original wiring and switch. There is no provision for delay here.
Also, for those who want a delay, the delay version of this motor is larger, and will not clear a power brake booster.
Looks good Jim I may have to look into that as I don't use the washer anyway. So does this mean your planning to go power on us? All this time you've said you'd never go power and now your crushing our spirits with talk like this...:sad:

J/K:p but seriously are you planning to go power or did you just want to clean up the firewall?

#4 ·
I'd love to see those pictures and a full explanation of how to so the change over too. :yes:

#5 ·
It was certainly a confusing challange to make the wiper work But was fun and rewarding to see it work and It was nice to meet you Jim. I was thinking that if you do not have both speeds, try swapping the wires at terminals 1 & 2. but that might mean low speed on the switch is hi wiper speed and hi speed on the switch is low wiper speed????

TTFN
Mat

#8 ·
We actually went inside, removed the ground, and fed power to it there! We're running the motor backwards! But it doesn't care. We made 2 wiring changes inside the motor, and spliced it's connector onto the original wires, no changes under the dash, stock wiper switch and wiring still in place.
I want to see pictures with arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one!:D

#14 ·
No Harley, no power for me. I just mentioned it because so many do use power brakes, would hate to have someone hassle it out and have it not fit.

And I will try hard to get around to the rest of the instructions someday...

Let's see, here's a quickie... The motor shaft clocks in the exact same position as the camaro's when it parks. The "drive bracket thingy" that attaches to the motor is clocked differently tho, and the stud where the linkage attaches is larger.

We used my original piece, and attacked it with some files until it would go onto the larger shaft.

#16 ·
The lower motor is a delay wiper from a '89 S-10 or many other GM vehicles. (Astro van, Fiero, sunbird, etc.) that will bolt up by filing down the shaft diameter to the same diameter of the early wiper motor. It will not clear a standard size power brake booster.

a simple spacer will fill the gap

for the application

The wiring will need to be modified to fit since the connectors are not the same as a 69 or 4th gen camaro. and the bulkhead connector on the '69 is not set up for the delay wiring. but then again if you can fit a 4th gen column then you can do that modification.
Autozone has wiring diagrams on their website that you can use to determine the connections for the particular donor vehicles you have.

TTFN
Mat

#19 ·
Jim! Since you have experience with sort of thing, I'd thought I'd post this question to you directly!

I have a 1981 Camaro w/ 350 4bbl.

My problem is with the wipers.
For the past couple of months, the wipers have been getting "stuck" in the park position under the hood. I have to manually free them in order to get them to work. After a few months of this, I'm afraid I've stripped the gear in the motor.

Now, my problems are this:
1) The motor "turns" but the wipers don't operate at all. The pin/rod that goes thru the firewall and attaches to the mechanical bar under the cowling doesn't move at all, so evidently, something is stripped inside the wiper motor.
2) The switch on my dash has the three positions: park, slow, fast. Now, my motor runs all the time. It runs fast when in the fast position and slow when in the slow AND PARK positions. Of course, since my gears are stipped, the blades aren't moving.

I intend to replace the wiper motor and hope it solves all the problems. I don't believe the 81 Camaro came with a relay. The relay mechanism, I hope, is built into the motor itself.

If replacing the motor only gets my wipers moving again, but I can't turn them off, I assume I'll have to replace the switch itself (must be short-circuited?). Does that sound right?

Finally, any hints to keep the blades and arms from getting "stuck" under the hood? Can I just try to adjust and push the arms down a little bit further on the spindles?

Thanks in advance for any tips or hints or suggestions!

#25 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, I usually hang out in the Firebird forums because that's what I own. The reason I'm here is because I have the issue with tall valve covers interfering with my wiper motor and in looking for a solution I can across this thread and thought I'd like to see if I can get this to work with my 67 Firebird, however I need a more detailed explanation of how to properly wire this. Does anyone have detailed instructions for this ?

#30 ·
The last activity from MattK was Feb of 2016. I had his phone number once but it's been years. Jim M promised to put all this electrical stuff on his site but quite honestly I don't think it ever happened. The site is still up but not much happens over there. Jim Mellema is on facebook. Not sure what info he may have as he sold his car and house and is traveling in a motorhome these days.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.