Another horn wiring question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Another horn wiring question

I've read alot of posts from people explaining how to wire the two horn buttons on a standard 69 wheel but still don't get it. Do the wires get soldered to the end of the metal shaft thats inside the spring that slides into the canceling cam? I looked at the one on my Nova (that has a single wire, but the principal is the same), the wire itself goes inside the spring and is soldered to a flat piece that looks like the same type of flat that is on the end of the shaft for the Camaro. If anyone has any pics of their's before they closed up the horn shroud it would really be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 12:25 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: Another horn wiring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochatea396 View Post
I've read alot of posts from people explaining how to wire the two horn buttons on a standard 69 wheel but still don't get it. Do the wires get soldered to the end of the metal shaft thats inside the spring that slides into the canceling cam? I looked at the one on my Nova (that has a single wire, but the principal is the same), the wire itself goes inside the spring and is soldered to a flat piece that looks like the same type of flat that is on the end of the shaft for the Camaro. If anyone has any pics of their's before they closed up the horn shroud it would really be appreciated.
Do the wires get soldered to the end of the metal shaft thats inside the spring that slides into the canceling cam?

No.

Check out this from the Electrical Sticky's. There are pics that you can view.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...300#post891300

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Dave,
I had looked at those pictures and I see the brass piece that the wires are joined together at. I don't have that piece and I didn't see it in any catalog. The only thing all those pictures don't show is how it all goes together.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Thanks Dave,
I had looked at those pictures and I see the brass piece that the wires are joined together at. I don't have that piece and I didn't see it in any catalog. The only thing all those pictures don't show is how it all goes together.
I don't think the brass piece is currently available reproduction. As for the pics, did you understand the captions along with the pics? I don't understand what you mean by "The only thing all those pictures don't show is how it all goes together."

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes I did understand the captions with the pictures and everything is crystal clear what he shows in the pictures, what I'm still confused about is how the spring, the steel shaft that goes inside the spring, the little black sleeve with the small tang on it and the brass end with the wires on it all go together. It seems I need to somehow obtain that little brass piece that the two wires go to, but once I get it, what is the order that all of this goes together. Is the small black sleeve with the tang on it used to hold the brass piece with the wires on it into the green flute on the canceling cam?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Yes I did understand the captions with the pictures and everything is crystal clear what he shows in the pictures, what I'm still confused about is how the spring, the steel shaft that goes inside the spring, the little black sleeve with the small tang on it and the brass end with the wires on it all go together. It seems I need to somehow obtain that little brass piece that the two wires go to, but once I get it, what is the order that all of this goes together. Is the small black sleeve with the tang on it used to hold the brass piece with the wires on it into the green flute on the canceling cam?
1. If you can't find the brass contact you can use a spent .22 caliber cartridge as a contact for the wires. Trim down the height of cartridge to .250 or less then file down the outer rim of the cartridge so it will fit into the tower of the canceling cam. It works. I have seen it done.

2. The round plastic retainer slips over the wires before the brass contact is soldered to the ends of the wires for the horn contacts.

3. Insert the spring into the tower on the canceling cam.(don't think you need the small steel pin. I ended up not using it-the horn works fine).

4. Insert the brass contact(with wires attached to it) into the tower on tha canceling cam.

5. Now push the plastic retainer into the tower on the canceling cam.

6. Connect horn shroud to steering wheel.

7. High five yourself as you have just connected your horn contacts to your steering wheel.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 08, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank you David, those are the instructions I was looking for. I don't understand why the new contacts aren't made with the brass piece already on it. Sounds like the shell casing method might be worth trying out. I don't have guns but I'm sure one of my buddies has one lying around. Thanks again for your help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 08, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Thank you David, those are the instructions I was looking for. I don't understand why the new contacts aren't made with the brass piece already on it. Sounds like the shell casing method might be worth trying out. I don't have guns but I'm sure one of my buddies has one lying around. Thanks again for your help.
You are very welcome. I'm with you on the brass contact part. It makes no sense not to include it on a new set of horn contacts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode