Went to dash tach, want to hook up GEN light? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 08, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Went to dash tach, want to hook up GEN light?

Whats the easiest way to hook up my gen light again? I went with a factory tach and a new circuit board on the back? I would guess the wire is behind the dash, just what color and where? I could find a spot to mount a LED or something, I just need to know how to hook it up

Thanks

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 08, 04:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Went to dash tach, want to hook up GEN light?

Radio Shack sells small 12 volt lights that fit thru a 1/4" hole. This is easier than using an LED, LED's are 1 1/2 volt devices and would need a resister in the circuit to work.

The gen light needs to have one end connected to IGN power (pink wire) and the other connected to the brown wire from the original dash connector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 08, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Radio Shack sells small 12 volt lights that fit thru a 1/4" hole. This is easier than using an LED, LED's are 1 1/2 volt devices and would need a resister in the circuit to work.

The gen light needs to have one end connected to IGN power (pink wire) and the other connected to the brown wire from the original dash connector.
OK I'll go get one. So the small brown wire in the bundle that connectes to the cluster goes to one side of the bulb abd the other goes to pink wire in the bundle also? Or can I connect the other end to IGN on the fuse panel?

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 08, 04:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The pink wire. Actually I think that one has power in both run and accy, cause the gen light will glow with the key in accy too.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 08, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
The pink wire. Actually I think that one has power in both run and accy, cause the gen light will glow with the key in accy too.
Off hand do you know if the Pink and brown are used with the tach cluster? Do you know if they could be disconnected and just wired to the light or should I just get one of those splices that crimps on the wire to add the light?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 08, 05:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The brown is not used with the stock tic toc tach wiring.

I'm not certain about the pink, but I think it is.

I hate those crimp on splices, they are a bad connection waiting to happen. Use a knife to remove about 1/4" of insulation from the wire without cutting it, wrap the new wire around it, and solder it up. If you can pull the terminal out of the connector body you can slip on some heat shrink, or just wrap the connection with tape.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 08, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Jim... I had time to take the dash apart today. I located the brown wire That I took out of the connector when I did the tach. The pink is is in the connector. It looks like it feeds power to the factory TEMP and OIL lights in the cluster. With the key on and in the run position I do have power on both. When I connect my test light from the brown to the pink (acting a a bulb) the bulb is bright. Once the car is started the bulb goes real dim. Not off.. You mentioned a resistor? Is this whats needed to get rid of that little extra voltage? I noticed if I disconnect the wire closest to the hood on the alternator the bulb will go bright. Thats correct right? I'm thinking I could wire up the oil light as a gen light.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

UPDATE... First off thanks Jim. It was the regulator. When I replaced it I got my 14.1V when the car was running and the light went off. In "ON" the light comes on. I ended up using the OIL warning light socket.

For anyone that wants a gen light with a tach install it's easy! On the cluster connector the pink wire in the harness stays where it is. The only thing you have to do is move the brown wire right next to the pink. The brown wire will end up being the last wire on the connector towards the bottom. Next take apart your gas gauge. There are 3 nuts and the whole thing comes apart. Next take out the GEN / TEMP lens. Do the same thing with the speedo gauge. Just swap them, put it all back together and your done! Here's a couple of pictures.

Last edited by mnm99; Apr 3rd, 09 at 04:45 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 06:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Excellent Mark, great work!!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

QUOTE=mnm99;952200]UPDATE... First off thanks Jim. It was the regulator. When I replaced it I got my 14.1V when the car was running and the light went off. In "ON" the light comes on. I ended up using the OIL warning light socket.

For anyone that wants a gen light with a tach install it's easy! On the cluster connector the pink wire in the harness stays where it is. The only thing you have to do is move the brown wire right next to the pink. The brown wire will end up being the last wire on the connector towards the bottom. Next take apart your gas gauge. There are 3 nuts and the whole thing comes apart. Next take out the GEN / TEMP lens. Do the same thing with the speedo gauge. Just swap them, put it all back together and your done! Here's a couple of pictures.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by mnm99; Mar 9th, 08 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode