Team Camaro Tech banner

1969 a/c car

957 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wagonman 
#1 ·
i was under my dash today..

1969 original a/c car.

i noticed that there are two connectors from the underdash harness that are not used!

one looks like a heater resistor connector
the other looks like maybe a heater control or fan speed connector.

they seem to have been taped up from the factory? is this possible?

the heater resistor is under the hood on the evaporator box.
and the fan speed has a connector from the a/c harness.

has this car been "messed" with some time during it's history?

#2 ·
Wagonman,

The A/C harness is a seperate harness from the underdash harness, and plugs into the Heater/AC contol unit (with the fan switch), goes through the firwall, and connects to the fan resistor, relay, and other components on the evaporator "suitcase". The under dash harness (that connects to the fuseblock) on an A/C car, does not have the connectors/wiring for the "heater only" components.

At least, this is the way it is on all 3 of my Norwood built '69 A/C cars.

My guess is, someone replaced the underdash harness at some point with the standard "heater only" harness.

Either that, or at some point, or durring some production runs, GM ran out of the A/C underdash harness and used the standard harness on some cars. However, my 3 cars span from December of '68 to Sept. of '69. Or, possibly the California plant used the standard harness in all cars.

Hope this helps.

Keith

#3 ·
thank you....i was hoping to get an answer before i went to bed.

there does'nt seem to be an aftermarket harness for me.

i need a 1969 underdash harness 4 speed console with gauges and factory tach.that doesnt have the heater coneectors.

i was working on it again this eve putting may dash back together again....

it does seem as if Gm put the "wrong" harness in and they tapped it to the a/c harness.

so i will just live with it.....

#6 ·
Mark C, thank you.

so i do have the original underdash harness then? so....gm must have forgot to cut it...those two connectors are taped up to the a/c harness......

good news......the car does seem unmolested under the dash....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.