Headlight relay conversion complete. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Thumbs up Headlight relay conversion complete.

Went out today and bought some HID halogen headlights. I know there not rael HID but they are whiter and a little brighter that my halogens I had in there before. So I bought (2) 30 amp relays and the sockets for them. (2) 30 amp fuse holders with 20 amp fuses. Ran my main power wire on the relay to the power distribution block. Ground to the firewall and made 2 cuts into the wire harness. Tan wire for low beams and Green wire for high beams. tied them into the correct terminals and I was done! Voltage at the terminal block is 11.9v with the car off. 11.8v at the light socket.... before I had almost a 2V difference. I started the car and turned the light on. My dash lights are now much brighter and they don't go dim from switching to parking lights to driving lights.

I would recommend this conversion to everyone. It works very well and I can see how it is is easier on the fuse box also

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....

Last edited by mnm99; Feb 27th, 08 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 04:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Headlight relay conversion complete.

Good work!
I think I'm gonna put that on my project list, too. I need to mount a new washer pump up by the washer bottle horn relay anyway, so as long as the soldering iron is out....may as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 05:02 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Thanks for the update.
This project is on my list.
I have some nice relays to wire up. I also want to install some kind of nice relay cluster. With all the relays under the hood, I'm running out of places 2 for the fans, 2 for the lights, one for the kill switch and one for the NSS. If I end up with EFI, I'm going to have one for the fuel pump too....
Sorry to hijack, but does anyone have any ideas? Maybe a late model underhood box?

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Good work!
I think I'm gonna put that on my project list, too. I need to mount a new washer pump up by the washer bottle horn relay anyway, so as long as the soldering iron is out....may as well.
Soldered everything. The whole project took around 2 hours. I looks nice and neat .It's worth it Jim. I also bought some new 5W dash bulbs.

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
Thanks for the update.
This project is on my list.
I have some nice relays to wire up. I also want to install some kind of nice relay cluster. With all the relays under the hood, I'm running out of places 2 for the fans, 2 for the lights, one for the kill switch and one for the NSS. If I end up with EFI, I'm going to have one for the fuel pump too....
Sorry to hijack, but does anyone have any ideas? Maybe a late model underhood box?

How'd you setup a relay for your kill switch? Is your batt in the trunk?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 08, 05:50 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

I plan to run two kill switches. My batt is not in the trunk. I plan to run 1 switch through the NSS the other to an ignition wire I have a couple of ideas but have not figured anything out yet.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 08, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech
Darrin

Question Re: Headlight relay conversion complete.

I realize this is an old thread, but I just installed relays for my headlights and the high beams are extremely bright, like I expected, but the low beams are barely lit at all.

I spliced the tan (low) and light green (high) wires just behind the rad support, spliced with white relay input wires. Installed both relays with power (fusible links) from the horn relay buss bar, grounded to rad support. Wired output (yellow) to same tan/green wires to headlights. crimped, soldered, and wrapped all connections.

With the low beams on, I checked voltage at the low beam socket, car running, 11.8v, high beam socket, 5v. Switch to high beams, both sockets show 11.8v. Is this normal? The buss bar shows 11.8v all the time to power is there. Is there a bad ground somewhere? I cleaned the rad support ground to bare metal, thinking it wasn't grounded well. But why do the high beams work great but not the low beams? Are there other connections I'm missing???

Thanks,
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 08, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Do yourself a favor and ditch the halogen lights which draw a ton of current and invest it a set of true H.I.D. headlights. They draw much much less current than a standard halogen light and they produce 10times the light output. I use them in my 67 and I will NEVER drive a car without them.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 08, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Any good suggestions on a HID kit for 1st gens?

Ed

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 08, 03:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

my questions are where did you get the relays and HID lights from?
part numbers too!

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 08, 06:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Here's a kit I found...but might be a bit pricey?

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/hid-6024.htm

Site says they fit 69 camaro...

Jim
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 08, 07:48 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I bought my HID kit from XenonDepot.com I paid around $450, but it's well worth it. The light output you gain from a true H.I.D. kit is great and the bulbs only draw 35watts a piece compared to a standard 9004 which draws 55w and some "performance" bulbs can draw 110watts and still not give you the light output. They make kits now that offer a 55watt upgrade and produce even more light. They usually cost around $150-$200 more, but worth every penny, IMO.
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/?referer=xd

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

Last edited by 67CamaroRS/SS; Oct 11th, 08 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Added Info
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 08, 07:55 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Do not get the sealed beam style kits. Do what I did. Get yourself a HIGH QUALITY 7" round headlight that can use H4 bulbs. Then get an H4 kit. That way, if a bulb ever goes out, you don't have to buy a whole new light and case, you can just buy the bulb. One thing, with HID's, you MUST have Historic tags or some tag that exempts you from inspections. HID's are only street legal for OEM installations because the factory ones are self leveling. When the car is started and the lights are turned, you can physically watch them bounce around to find level. That way they are not pointing up and into someones eyes. If you have Historic tags, you are exempt from the standard laws that govern street violations like window tint, loud exhaust and lifted trucks. Historic tagged vehicles are not governed by those guidelines so you can install WHATEVER you want on the car. Window tint can be as dark as you want it. That is not necessarily the smart thing for night driving, but it does help the A/C work better.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 08, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

One last thing. Don't think that the higher the number, the brighter the bulb when it comes to HID. The BEST kit to buy for the brightest output is a 4300K kit. They make them all the way up to 10000K, but they are not the brightest. The higher you go, the more purple they get. They also make Bi-Xenon kit for some part numbers. That lets you keep your low and high beam, but the bulbs are so bright you really don't need a high beam.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 08, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Do not go for the cheap kits. You definately get what you pay for when it comes to HID's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode