fuel gauge not working - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 08, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

fuel gauge not working

i modified my 69 camaro dash and now have 5" autometers i out in a tach and speedo and moved my fuel to a cutom pod with 4 2 1/16 guages i just took the brown wire that was wired to the stock gauges and wired it to my new autometer's signal outlet. but it isnt working that gauges lights and ground and 12v is wired right just not the signal.....am i mising something.

My car pics...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Re: fuel gauge not working

encountered what might be a similar problem last weekend, helping a buddy on his '68. we finally realized senders and gauges need to be Ohm-range compatible.
most GM stock senders (1965- late 80s) are 90 ohm full, 0 ohm empty. some older ones (pre-1965) were 30 full / 0 empty. check your gauge ohm range, then you're gonna need to know the sender range. we had to get his by dropping the tank, removing the sender, and ohming it with a meter.
my guess is your new gauge isn't ohm-compatible with the sender.
if the stock gauge worked, you most probably have a 90/0 sender.

'69 SS X66 Camaro
454, TH400 & GearVendor, 12 bolt
'82 Corvette.
stock
'81 Camaro Pro Bracket car.
406, TH350, 10 bolt, NHRA #3148
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 02:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

How bout defining doesn't work a lil better?
Where is the gauge needly with the car running?
where do you think it should be?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
James

Send a message via Yahoo to james7773

Maybe your outta gas? j/k
James

My 67 RS 327...its a work in progress.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Do you have a link to the owner's manual for the new gauge?

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

i do not remember the part number but i am 100% that i orpered the right gauge..autometer ultra lite i posted on here and ask a number of friends and it wasll all the same one dang it i cant remember the ohm or the partnumber... as it not working i mean i have the lights wired correctly to it..and it is grounded well and has 12v keyed ignition going to it.. it is just not getting a signal and all i did was just use the same brown wire that was on my stock gauge and i know im not out of gas.. but the car is torn apart and isnt crankable at this second will be this weekend again i hope

My car pics...

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 04:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Well Brian... since you refuse to tell us what the gauge isn't doing...

If the gauge swirngs to way past full, then your sender wire is open, IE: not connected.

If it's stuck on empty, then it is shorted to ground somewhere. To rule out anything in the tank, go back in the trunk and unplug the tan wire. Gauge should go to way past full.

In the electrical basics sticky, there are a couple of articles on troubleshooting the fuel gauge. Maybe read em?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode