Alternator Wiring Question - Brown/Red Combo Wires - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 08, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Alternator Wiring Question - Brown/Red Combo Wires

I have a 90' Camaro TBI with a 350 swap and the positive battery cable going to the starter accidentally grounded on the oil dip stick from improper insulation. We fixed that issue. Car starts fine and drives fine but the alternator does not charge.

Alternator Has a 2 wire plug, along with the thick 4-8 gauge positive battery cable wire with nut coming off of it.

The Red Wire on the plug shows +12V (confirmed with multimeter)
The Brown wire on the plug:
-Shows no Voltage
-No Continuity to the battery cable (+12v wire)
-No Continuity to groud
-So its an "open" wire I suppose?

The Thick 4-8 gauge wire with the nut (red wire) shows only 0.46 volts, though it obviously should show battery voltage regardless of key position IIRC.

I checked the Crappy Wiring Diagram the Haynes Manual shows, and it shows the brown wire running to the Fan fuse (which is fine), though my multimeter is showing 0 volts on it.
The thick 4-8 gauge wire shows it going to the battery though there is I believe a fusible link, but either I dont know the location of it or I cant find it.

Any Advice Guys?
(Alternator is good, it is brand new & has been tested at autozone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Alternator Wiring Question - Brown/Red Combo Wires

Sounds like you've narrowed it down to the voltage supply through the fan fuse. Does your manual show where the fan fuse gets it's power from?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 12:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mitch

The heavy wire does come directly from the battery thru a fusible link. The link should be very near the battery...maybe attached to the core support between the bat and radiator. My manual indicates the link should be a rust color. The red wire comes from the starter solenoid thru another fusible link also rust colored. The links are in the wire and the insulation should appear wrinkled as from heat. It may not be burned off on the outside, but the wire melts internally.
The wire from the bat should indicate full 12 volts at all times. The red wire should indicate 12 volts with the key in start position. The brown wire goes to the coolant fan relay and should indicate 12 volts in run or position or possibly while running.
Hope this helps.....

...38 Chev coupe, street rod
...54 Chev 210 coupe
...62 Impala SS, driver/project
...67 Camaro, ss/rs LA built driver/project
...66 Chevelle SS, Atlanta built 138 driver/project
...69 C10, cab and clip may end up on the '89 rollback
...70 Chevelle SS, Canadian documented Z25 project

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 08, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Well i found the fusible link on the heavy wire coming off of the alternator and it was blown, so i tried to get some more "fusible link wire" but i could only find an "in-line fuse" so i ran one of those with a 15fuse

BUT the car STILL doesn't hold a charge!

Could another fusible link be blown? like one coming off of the top of the alternator red/brown wires?
What do those wires even do? i know they're necessary but could i hard wire them temperately because i need my car back haha its my daily driver
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Isn't the brown wire from the ign switch to excite the alt?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 07:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD88IROC View Post
The red wire comes from the starter solenoid thru another fusible link also rust colored.
Hope this helps.....
Look for a burned link down by the solenoid.
I'm not sure that a 15 amp fuse will be sufficient for the bat wire. Don't be surprised if it needs a 30.

...38 Chev coupe, street rod
...54 Chev 210 coupe
...62 Impala SS, driver/project
...67 Camaro, ss/rs LA built driver/project
...66 Chevelle SS, Atlanta built 138 driver/project
...69 C10, cab and clip may end up on the '89 rollback
...70 Chevelle SS, Canadian documented Z25 project
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Fifteen nor thirty amp fuse is not large enough for alt output fuse. Need more like a 60 -80 amp because alt, depending upon load, will max rated output stamped on case. Run all those accessories turned on, ignition, and battery charge.

Reason for fusible link. Links are typically 4 AWG's smaller than power wire, 8 AWG will ahve a section of 12 AWG for fusible link.

You can use the 30 amp for troubleshooting output of alt and correcting other problems, but in the end, a fusible link will be needed.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode