where to hide ignition box? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

where to hide ignition box?

I have got a 67, no a/c car. I am looking for some creative places to hide my MSD 6AL ign. box and also the coil. It should be easily accessable and also have plenty of free air space around it for cooling purposes, right?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 03:08 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: where to hide ignition box?

Some guys use glove box, and other locations too. For mine, I mounted it on firewall above heater core. But before I mounted it, I sprayed it with the same semi-flat black that I used for the whole engine compartment. It's virtually invisible, yet still accessible. I always hated bright red things in the engine compartment, lol. I'm kinda surprised they paint 'em that color, but I guess they wanna be noticed.

Something to think about.

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech
David

Some are mounted on the firewall on the inside of the car and use a firewall feed through and a grommet in the firewall to route the wires to the necessary components.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 05:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I have mine mounted under the dash on the passenger side.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 08, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I have mine mounted under the dash on the passenger side.
That looks like its in just the right place to zap your girlfriend if she kicks too much .

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 08, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Talking Re: where to hide ignition box?

Chris,

I have had mine under the glove box for 14 years with no problems and very easy access to the Rev limiter.

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 08, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Mine is a non-RS car, so I'll be mounting it where the vacuum storage tank would normally go, under the left fender.
I'll make a bracket to support it using the factory dimples in the inner fender.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 08, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I mounted mine on the radiator support right behind the drivers side headlight, looks clean and not real noticable.

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 08, 10:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Not that you want it hear I know but for the guy who painted his black MSD black just don't sound right.Heres mine my firewall feed thru has a billet cover my buddy made...

PRO.ST69orange

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 08, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well those are all good ideas guys. I really appreciate the pics and suggestions

david calligan, very nice engine compartment.

I guess I just need to pick the one that suits me best and do it.

Thanks
Chris
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 08, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by david calligan View Post
Not that you want it hear I know but for the guy who painted his black MSD black just don't sound right..........

David, my firewall is all black, so the box blends right in. Your firewall is basically all red, so yours blends right in too, so how can you say it "don't sound right"?????????!!!!

Your setup is certainly very clean, good job.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970

Last edited by Chevy-SS; Mar 10th, 08 at 03:42 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 08, 06:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm-67 View Post
Well those are all good ideas guys. I really appreciate the pics and suggestions

david calligan, very nice engine compartment.

I guess I just need to pick the one that suits me best and do it.

Thanks
Chris
It took me and a buddy a little thinking to be able to hide every thing...Thanks for the compliment...

PRO.ST69orange

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 08, 06:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
David, my firewall is all black, so the box blends right in. Your firewall is basically all red, so yours blends right in too, so how can you say it "don't sound right"?????????!!!!

Your setup is certainly very clean, good job.

-
Just messin,sorry if I offended I was just sayin MSD is red...My car is bright orange Custom code from Glasuret the colors aren't close....Every body has there likes and dislikes if you like it it don't matter if I do.I guess I forgot to put ...lol...after the black statement like you did about hating the red..Thank you for the compliment post some pics of yours I'd like to see how it looks....Its hard to form a oppinion with out seein it...It cant be to bad your name is David

PRO.ST69orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode