Ignition Lock Cylinder Short? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 08, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Ignition Lock Cylinder Short?

I have a 69 Camaro, tilt steering column. I had been having some issues with the battery going dead. I was able to track it down to the ignition lock cylinder. With the key out of the ignition, in the off position, if I move the ignition lock backward just a hair, the test light that I have between the battery ground and ground comes on. If I move it forward, it goes off.

The obvious thing would be just to make sure when I turn the car off and remove the key, move the ignition lock cylinder forward. But if I forget, then I end up with a dead battery.

Does this sound like the ignition lock cylinder has an issue or the wiring?

Thanks,

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 08, 05:14 PM
Team Member
John

Re: Ignition Lock Cylinder Short?

Sounds more like the ignition switch mounting to the steering column jacket needs to be adjusted; it's actuated by a rod driven by a gear on the end of the lock cylinder, and the switch attachment to the column is slotted. The adjustment procedure is in Section 9 of the Chassis Service Manual.

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 08, 05:15 PM
Senior Tech

It sounds as if your ignition switch needs adjusting. The switch is mounted on top of the steering column jacket down under the dash. When you rotate your ignition key you rotate a small plastic gear inside your steering column head. That plastic gear engages a small die cast rack. The rack is attached to a rod that extends down under the dash to the ignition switch.

The switch has a mounting bracket that has two slots. You can loosen the two fasteners that attach it to the column jacket and adjust the switch. There is no adjustment on the lock cylinder itself. Please note that you will most likely have to lower your steering column down from the instrument cluster a slight amount in order to reach the fasteners.

With your tilt column when you rotate your ignition key counterclockwise to the ACCESSORY position you are pushing and moving the rod that attaches to the switch.

The positions of your lock cylinder and ignition switch are as follows: START, RUN, OFF, OFF-LOCK, and ACCESSORY. You have to rotate your key all the way to OFF-LOCK in order to remove your key from the lock cylinder.

From your description it sounds as if you are moving your ignition switch from the OFF-LOCK position to just barely reaching the ACCESSORY position when "I move the ignition lock backward just a hair". I would suggest loosening the ignition switch and pushing it down toward the engine just a slight amount. That should place the ACCESSORY position in the switch just a hair further away from the OFF-LOCK ignition lock cylinder position.

JIML82

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 08, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your suggestions. From your descriptions, it sounds like you've hit the nail on the head with your diagnosis. I'll give it a shot on Thursday evening as that will be the next time I can go work on it. In the mean time, I just keep taking the ground off the battery so it doesn't go dead.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode