Help me pick an alternator..... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 08, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Help me pick an alternator.....

I currently have the 60A stock alt on the drivers side head with the stock mount. I would like to keep the same spot. The reason I'm saying this is because right now I have around 3/4" clearance from the alt to the valve cover, so size is an issue.

I want to keep my GEN light also. 100A is OK. 140A would be better. Waht models should I look at? I like the polished look also.

Thanks.

Just found this guy ..... http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/sto...putalternators

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....

Last edited by mnm99; Mar 14th, 08 at 06:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 08, 04:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Help me pick an alternator.....

The alternator in that link looks tasty. Plenty of power @ 1500, enough at idle.
And an external reg alternator like that one will complement and work with all the recent work you did to get your regulator squared away and fix your gen light.

Plug n play install, too. Only change I'd make to wiring is to run a new 8 gauge wire from the alternator power stud to your distribution block (I'd leave the current wire in place too.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 08, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
The alternator in that link looks tasty. Plenty of power @ 1500, enough at idle.
And an external reg alternator like that one will complement and work with all the recent work you did to get your regulator squared away and fix your gen light.

Plug n play install, too. Only change I'd make to wiring is to run a new 8 gauge wire from the alternator power stud to your distribution block (I'd leave the current wire in place too.)

Thanks Jim, but I already have a 4Ga wire.......lol

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 08, 05:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

I've have that one in chrome on mine ,,, about 4 yrs olds now - no problems

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 08, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Just ordered that alt. He said it's a Plug-N-Play setup..... Hook it up just the way mine is and it will work! I asked him why he thinks everyone else doesn't carry one that can do that. The most external alts I see is around 60A. He told me " I don't know , why don't you ask them?" lol He's been in business since 1954. I would guess he knows what he's doing. Anyway it should be here wednesday at a cost of $130 with a new 2 prong plug.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 08, 06:54 AM
Senior Tech

Good choice Marc, have to let us know how it worked out. I had to upgrade as well, after needing more power to provide for added audio stuff, and you may as well down the road. This is one case where bigger is better.. power wise that is.

capt
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 08, 03:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I got the biggest one they sell and cant be happier
and the chrome was top quality

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 08, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
I got the biggest one they sell and cant be happier
and the chrome was top quality
Sounds good. I should have it Wednesday.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 08, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

JimM, you suggest running an 8AG wire in addition to the 10AG wire that's already there(two at once)or just not bother removing the old one(one plugged in and one just run to location)? Thanks. I currently have an internally regulated 250amp unit. I have done some inspecting and it appears that a thicker gauge wire has been run. Would it hurt to run another in addition to the one that's there now? Can having two wires cause any charging issues? Thanks and sorry for the hijack.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 08, 01:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Having 2 wires rather than one big one won't cause any problems

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 08, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

A fusible link on each wire would also be a good safety measure.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 08, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech

If you have stock heads without the accessory holes on the front, your mounting options are going to be limited. Aftermarket heads usually have holes in the front that give you more mounting options.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode