Ways to test the Vacuum Advance? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 08, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

Ways to test the Vacuum Advance?

I may have a Vacuum Advance on my HEI distributor that is not fully functioning correctly. Does anyone have any ways I can test it to find out if it good, bad, on its way to bad?
Thanks
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 08, 06:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Ways to test the Vacuum Advance?

a MitiVac is best. They are cheap and readily available, and useful for lots of other things.

A timing tape, or degreed balancer is very helpful as well as a timing light.

For the most basic test, just check your timing with the vac can disconnected, then connect it to manifold vac and check timing again. he difference is the amount of vacuum advance @ your idle rpm.

With the mitivac, you can check the amount of advance at any vacuum level, regardless of actual manifold vacuum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 08, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ray

The reason I am asking is that I can not get a repeatable reading using the timing light on the balancer with timing tab and having the vacuum canister plugged into the carb or unplugged and the carb vacuum port capped off. Sometimes I see no change in timing, the next time I will see 4 degrees then 8 degrees then back to 0.
I will do a search on MitiVac and try that because then I can simulate the amount of vacuum and see if it bleeds off and find out if the canister has a leak or not.
thanks
Ray

Any other ideas out there; I am still willing to hear(read).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 08, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

With engine idling, make sure the vacuum line to the dist has full manifold vacuum. If it does not, then move it to a port with full manifold vacuum at idle. Also make sure the rubber line itself is in good shape. If it exhibits any cracking or is loose to the fittings, then replace.

Now, with engine idling - simply watch the timing mark. Connect, then disconnect, then connect again - the vacuum line, while watching timing mark. The mark should jump substantially up and down as you connect/disconnect the vacuum line. As you connect the line, the mark would appear to go to top (or above) timing plate. When you disconnect the line, the timing mark should return to your base setting (normally around 8 degrees).

Here's a very easy test - remove dist cap, connect long vacuum line to dist canister and suck on the other end. You should be able to visually confirm the canister mechanism working back and forth.

I would also remove rotor and check centrifugal advance weights. They often are rusted up and will stick. So, take them off, don't lose the little springs, clean everything up real nice and lightly oil, then re-assemble and try setting your timing again.

-

Dave F. in Rhode Island
'68 Camaro SS Accel DFI 454 (SOLD - I'm a boring Corvette owner now)
Bought my first big-block Chevy in 1970
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 08, 07:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
I would also remove rotor and check centrifugal advance weights. They often are rusted up and will stick. So, take them off, don't lose the little springs, clean everything up real nice and lightly oil, then re-assemble and try setting your timing again.

-
Ditto. also, the vacuum can moves (what used to be called) the breaker plate, so make sure it moves freely and easily as well.

It can get weird , particularly if some of the mechanical advance is in at idle. you pull the hose, which removes the vacuum advance... this drops the idle speed, which then removes some mechanical advance...

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 08, 07:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post

-
Ditto. also, the vacuum can moves (what used to be called) the breaker plate, so make sure it moves freely and easily as well.

It can get weird , particularly if some of the mechanical advance is in at idle. you pull the hose, which removes the vacuum advance... this drops the idle speed, which then removes some mechanical advance...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode