Need help very stumped on '69 dome light - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Need help very stumped on '69 dome light

Help guys! Since buying my '69 a few years back the dome light has never worked. Never had any power to it. Oh someone added a console to the Camaro and the light on the back of the console comes on when the doors are opened and goes off when closed.

Back to the dome light. I look in the trunk and see that the dome light connector is not plugged in. I'm thinking this is too easy. So after plugging it in my dome light still does not work. I pulled the dome light from the headliner and checked with test light. The light lights up. But with a voltage meter it is showing 00.1 volts door open and 7 volts with door closed.

The console shows almost 12v with the door open. The dome light its self shows power on either side of the bulb. When I hook the dome light to the battery it lights up fine. So for some reason I'm not getting enough power. Could this have anything to do with an original headlight switch. When you turn the head light switch knob to tun on interior lights nothing happens. Please any advise would be great.
Thanks
-Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Need help very stumped on '69 dome light

The dome light circuit is an oddball. It has +12 volts applied at all times through the orange wire. The white wire is a ground which goes to the door and headlight switches. The switches provide a path to ground. It was easier to wire it this way because there is more than one switch and you only have to run one wire to each switch and then ground the switch. With the doors closed and the headlight switch turned clockwise you will have around 12 volts at both ends of the bulb. If you're getting power at the dome light try grounding the white wire with a jumper wire at the plug in the trunk. If it lights up work your way back to the dash using your jumper to ground until you find the problem. Probably just a bad connection somewhere. Good luck.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

I do have a factory wiring book for the '69 Camaro. On the fuse block where it says crtsy lights their is a orange wire with a blue female connector plugged into the fuse panel. when I pull it out the console light goes out. I guess I need to maybe pull all of the lighting wires and start from square one.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 08, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Doug

Found the problem. As usual some brainless person cut the wires to use it to power something else as it had a dead wire running no where. Now everything is working once i plugged the wire back to where it belonged. Also added the under dash lighting so it's nice and bright!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode