100 amp alternator - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Question 100 amp alternator

if I change my original alternator on my 67 camaro to a 100 amp can I use the existing wiring. I will be using the original voltage regulator.THE ALTERNATOR I HAVE DOESN'T HAVE A INTERNAL REGULATOR the wiring will fit just like the original 63 amp.......thanks for
any advice.........james

Last edited by s-mans67; Mar 20th, 08 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 08, 09:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: 100 amp alternator

If you change to a 100 amp alternator you won't be needing your regulator
The CS and SI 100 amp units are internal regulated.

As far as the wiring, depends on how you use it.
If - you leave it intact and only use the original power draw on the original circuits, then things will be just fine.
If plan on adding something to the original wiring that has an increased current draw - like a high power amp or lights - to the original radio feed through the switch, then you will run into melted wiring and other bad things

Any additional loads or high draw accessories you add should have a dedicated circuit run to supply them.
The circuit should be tapped from a primary power feed off the battery and run through the necessary junction blocks and installed with proper rated fusing.

Hope this helps

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Mar 20th, 08 at 08:15 AM. Reason: 'Hope' v.s. "How" :o
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 06:36 AM

Re: 100 amp alternator

Here's a good tech ref...

https://www.camaros.net/techref/ftecref14.html

I did mine for the sake of high power headlights. Definitely get updated wiring if you're going to do something like that. I got a kit from Painless I think... came with the harness, relays, etc. Made for an easy H4 headlight upgrade.

~Bob

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

I have a 100 amp alt. with most of the original wiring still intact, not all. This was done prior to me. I am in the process of adding dual elec. radiator fans (big power draw). With all the new access. now days it really taxes the elec. system which puts a tremendous load on the sytem. Go to www.madelectrical.com, go to the tech section and then go to: New System. There is a lot of good factual info with pics of the original wiring system and pics of their new system. The new system takes the load off of all the access. going through the small wiring and horn relay. I have just purchased the New System so have not been able to try it out yet. But you will have brighter headlights and less strain and voltage loss on your system. As far as your question, probably. But if you are looking at increasing the efficiency and performance of your whole elect. system consider this change. Mark (Mad Electrical) is hard to get a hold of and I can see why.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 10:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

No need to touch / cut or move any wires. I just installed this alt yesterday http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/sto...putalternators It's a nice unit and it's plug and play. Before at idle my old 60A alt only put out 25A at idle. With the car running, lights on, and heater on the car called for 42A. So what was happening was my voltage dropped to 11.9V. The lights dimmed. With the new alt I can turn on the same things and the alt was keeping up. I now have 42A at idle and my volts are 14.2. Something to look into, instead of doing the whole conversion changing wires around.

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

All I did was use the orginal power feed, disconect 1 wire, use the other and looped between the other terminals for the feed.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks For Your Advice.......james, The Alternator That I Bought Doesn't Have The Internal Regulator
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 08, 09:12 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Please talk to Mark at Mad Electrical. I disagree with MNM. I too also added a new AM volt meter and seemed to keep up and voltage reading at 14 with my Proform 100. But it is taxing on your whole elect. system. Your lights and everything are run through the horn relay and the wiring are not up to snuff. That is why your lights and dash lights would be dim, not like todays lighting. Every accessory is pulling through the horn relay. If you plan on adding elect. fuel pump, electric fans, big output stereo, HEI, aftermaarket a/c etc. It all causes a voltage drop. Why are so many people suggesting about adding relays? It's because they don't draw alot of elect., but delivers full power. Mark will correct my mistakes and set you up so that you are happy.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 03:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
Please talk to Mark at Mad Electrical. I disagree with MNM. I too also added a new AM volt meter and seemed to keep up and voltage reading at 14 with my Proform 100. But it is taxing on your whole elect. system. Your lights and everything are run through the horn relay and the wiring are not up to snuff. That is why your lights and dash lights would be dim, not like todays lighting. Every accessory is pulling through the horn relay. If you plan on adding elect. fuel pump, electric fans, big output stereo, HEI, aftermaarket a/c etc. It all causes a voltage drop. Why are so many people suggesting about adding relays? It's because they don't draw alot of elect., but delivers full power. Mark will correct my mistakes and set you up so that you are happy.
What do you disagree about? Maybe I'll explain better. It puts out the amperage needed and uses the external regulator. My volts stay at 14.4 all the time. Before I did the relay conversion the lights would dim with nothing on. With the relay conversion and the heater on they would dim. It would only dim because the alt only puts out 25A at idle. My old alt just wasn't putting out the amps. Take an amp reading at the alt with light and heater on. It takes 42amps, atleast in my case to keep up. 9A for the MSD and batt, 15A for the lights and 17A when the heater is on.

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 06:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

As was pointed out, rewound high output EXTERNAL REGULATED alternators are in fact available. They do not REQUIRE any changes to our cars wiring.

But, at a minimum I'd suggest a second 10 gauge wire be run (in parallel with the one in the original harness) from the alternators output stud to one of the screw terminals on the horn relay.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 08:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Jim
Why do you think he would disagree? It's a sweet setup.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 08, 08:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
Jim
Why do you think he would disagree? It's a sweet setup.
I have no idea...

The only power that runs "through" the horn relay is the current drawn by blowing the horn.

The tab and 2 screws on the horn relay are also used as a "distribution block" for primary power throughout the car, but this is a sizeable peice of steel and has no resistance or power loss. It's just a convenient place to connect stuff.

All the primary power leads on our cars are 10 gauge from the factory, and there are certainly some current limits there, particularly with the single 10 gauge wire feeding the main fusebox (if lots of extra accessories are added that are pulling power off the fusebox itself, it's not a problem with the designed load.)

INHO, in a firstgen with basically stock wiring, the horn relay is by far the best and most logical place to pull power for "extra" accessories from, and if a "bigger" alternator is added, it's the most logical place to deliver that power.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 08, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

for power can you use either of the screws on the horn relay to hook up fan relays.. or to run a wire from alternator to the horn relay ? does anyone know the color of the low beam and high beam wires ? I want to put a couple relays going to the lights, thanks

Last edited by s-mans67; Mar 23rd, 08 at 07:37 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 08, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-mans67 View Post
for power can you use either of the screws on the horn relay to hook up fan relays.. or to run a wire from alternator to the horn relay ? does anyone know the color of the low beam and high beam wires ? I want to put a couple relays going to the lights, thanks
Get a chassis manual, all the factory wiring diagrams are in it. I installed the mad electical full power kit along with a 100 amp internally regulated alt. and I'm verry happy with the system. I have loads of power for my 1000 watt system, msd ,elec fan etc. I used to suffer hot start problems, but not anymore also my headlights are WAY brighter with the relays than my friends' camaros. Go to mad electical web site they have some good info there. Other than keeping your Camaro original looking there is no benifit to keeping the old mechanical voltage regulator, and anything over 60 amps may hurt it. Step up to new technology with a solid state internal voltage reg. the conversion is easy.

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode