CS130 Plug - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

CS130 Plug

I have a 94 amp 12SI in my camaro and I use an Alan Grove mid mount bracket. I chatted with them and they gave me the application to get a CS130 that fits their bracket. What I don't have is a plug that fits into the CS130. Where do I get that?

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 08:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: CS130 Plug

Most good auto supply houses should have it - @$15

AC/Delco #PT1742 (GM #88987962)
Link to RockAuto listing - http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

I usually cut them off "donor's" at Pick-N-Pull

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Re: CS130 Plug

Thanks!!! Now where was that tech ref section to explain the wiring...

Here it is...

"S", this was a heavy gauge, red wire.

"F", this was a small gauge, brown wire.

"L", this was a small gauge, brown/red wire.

"P", this was a small gauge, brown/white wire.

The red wire from "S" gets connected back to the output terminal of the alternator just like in the "SI" swap.

The brown/red wire from "L" gets connected to what is shown in the diagram above as the blue wire. It's this wire that comes (indirectly) from the idiot light and it energizes the alternator.

The wires from "F" and "P" are not used!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 09:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: CS130 Plug

Really only need two (2) wires to hook one up;
The "S" is the Battery connection. Use a good size (#4 or so ) wire as they put out some jiuce and you don't want to rely on you're old #8/10 to do the job for long
The "L" terminal goes to the original 12vdc feed through the lamp on your dash to indicate it's charging. You can use a 3~5watt resistor in it's place, but the lamp is a good idea anyway.
DO NOT try to wire through an original older @30~50 Amp gauge! These puppies will fry one of them in a heart-beat if you get a good load going through em (ask me how I learned that )
If you want a gauge, use a modern volt-meter to allow you to see the output.
It will stay !14vdc even at idle

(edit)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm View Post
Thanks!!! Now where was that tech ref section to explain the wiring...

Here it is...
Dang - you type (and I guess search ) faster than I can

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

OK...

S = Charging wire, I'll use the one I have on the 94 amp 12SI
L = Power/Idiot light, I'll use the wire from the 94 amp 12SI
F = ??
P = ??

Ummmm, we seem to be missing a critical connection here!! The "sensing" wire, which one is that?

Dave (dnult), if you would have labeled the wires in your schematic I'd have it all figured out, LOL!

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 09:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: CS130 Plug

Quote:
OK...
... Ummmm, we seem to be missing a critical connection here!! The "sensing" wire, which one is that?

The SI/CS series alternators are internal sensing and don't really need the optional 'sensing wire' hooked up to work properly.
If - you had a remotely mounted battery with several large drain-loads on it this wire can be very usefull. It is often wired up as remote sensing in marine and industrial applications.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

I would never run an alternator without a sensing wire located at the main power draw.....If the CS does not have a sensing wire then I wont use it. A one wire alternator may charge the battery, but an alternator is more than a battery charger.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 11:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
... If the CS does not have a sensing wire then I wont use it. A one wire alternator may charge the battery, but an alternator is more than a battery charger.
The CS does have a sensing wire (it's "S") - but it's just not necessary to wire to remote storage source (battery) for most installations

DO NOT confuse an Internal Sensing alternator (like the SI/CS series) with the junky Self-Exciting Aftermarket "One-wire" POS's sold by retailers
Those are totally different devices.

The remote sensing part of the CS unit is to "look" at the reference voltage at the the remote storage (battery) location and make sure it is getting enough voltage to charge correctly. On installations like a boat, where the battery is more than 10 feet (in my case) from the alternator, the voltage drop through things like the battery sellector and wiring can be enough to drop the voltage below the 14.5~14.7vdc necessary to effectively charge the battery(ies).

If you want to wire it to sense from somewhere like the main power source it's easy;
Wire the "S" terminal to the "Bat" lug on the battery itself or your main power-lug/tap, wire the lamp circuit with a diode (to prevent forward voltage to the alternator) to the "F" terminal and then wire the key-on source to the "L" terminal - this will give you full voltage sensing and adjustment based off the voltage main storage/distribution circuit(s).

Wiring the unit so the lamp and 12vdc source goes to the "L" wire and the "S" terminal to the "Bat" terminal with a jumper allows the alternator to "sense" the voltage in the short #4 wire, usually found on our cars, between the alternator and the battery - it will not appreciately drop in that short piece of large wire ...
This is by far the easiest way to upgrade most car systems.
I've done bunches of these in upgrading systems for friends and they work great with no 'sensing' issues.

Hopes this explains it better and you can feel better about the wiring options.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Last edited by Vintage 68; Mar 26th, 08 at 12:26 PM. Reason: clarified a few thingys ...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

I have the battery in the trunk, so my charging wire goes from the alternator all the way back to the battery lug of the kill switch in the trunk. Then another wire comes from the switchable side of the kill switch all the way back to the main power connector on the firewall. This point is where everything gets it's power from and where I need to sense the voltage to ensure that the source for everything electrical in the car is at a steady level.

I haven't picked up the CS130 yet but I can only assume that there is a main lug for the charging wire (like the 10SI & 12SI) and then a connector for the excitor, sensing, etc. I need the charging wire to continue to go back to the trunk, but the alternator needs to maintain power based on the voltage reading from the main connector on the firewall, not based on voltage readings from the battery in the trunk or from the charging lug on the back of the alternator.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 12:19 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

is this what you're looking for?
http://0193647.netsolstores.com/inde...D&ProdID=26358

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
That will work....we'll see if I can get one locally.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 12:41 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

I just looked at MAD Electrical and found these part numbers....
GM Dealership Parts Department # 88987962
AC-DELCO# PT1742

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 12:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Red face Re: CS130 Plug

Quote:
Yup - that's the connector.
Funny, I thought the 'RockAuto' link was to it, but I see it doesn't work for my original search ...

You local GM dealer has the plug and most auto stores will have it also - I've bought several.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 12:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Quote:
I just looked at MAD Electrical and found these part numbers....
GM Dealership Parts Department # 88987962
AC-DELCO# PT1742
I think there's an echo in here Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage 68 View Post
Most good auto supply houses should have it - @$15

AC/Delco #PT1742 (GM #88987962)

I usually cut them off "donor's" at Pick-N-Pull

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 08, 12:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

I just bought one at NAPA. Echlin P/N VRC191. Good luck. Don't use the American Autowire conversion kit. It doesn't work.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode