New Wiper blowing fuses??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

New Wiper blowing fuses???

Just installed a new wiper motor and I am INSTANTLY blowing fuses?
Wiper motor is grounded. Wires only plug into the switch one way. I thought maybe I had the wires at the wiper motor switched or backwards so tried it both ways with same results. It's blowing 30 amp fuses in less than a second with NO wiper movement???

Bad switch at the dash?? It IS original.

Any ideas????

69 Camaro -Smeding Performance 383 Stroker 400hp 465lbs tq - TKO 600 - 10 bolt with 3:55 Richmonds and Eaton Posi - DSE Front End - Medium Spirol Grey and 50th Aniversary Red off 2003 Vette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech

Re: New Wiper blowing fuses???

The OEM wiper motor has power applied directly to the motor - yellow wire I believe. The switch applies ground to the two blue wires. The switch body is grounded.

I don't know if this is typical of all wiper motors. Any chance you got one with a grounded motor and the speed is changed by apply voltage through the switch.

Is the fuse blowing the moment you insert it, or only after actuating the switch?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It blows as soon as I activate the switch.

69 Camaro -Smeding Performance 383 Stroker 400hp 465lbs tq - TKO 600 - 10 bolt with 3:55 Richmonds and Eaton Posi - DSE Front End - Medium Spirol Grey and 50th Aniversary Red off 2003 Vette

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

By grounded motor .... are you talking about the brass strap looking thing that is attached to one of the mounting surfaces of the wiper motor to the firewall? That's what I have.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 08, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Thumbs up Re: New Wiper blowing fuses???

Chris,
Check your connectors, I'll bet they are backwards or twisted.
The yellow wire should be on the cide closest to the drive, Light blue in the middle and Black towards the center.
On the washer pump again the Yellow is closest to the drivers side and the Dark Blue is on the connector closest to the center.

I know this because I just rewired my car and I kept doing the same thing. So I moved them around until I got it right.

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech

Chris ... I had the same problem ... Had the wire reversed ...
See here :

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130180

'95 383 CAMARO Z28 - C.A.M. BUILT/TUNED
405 RWHP/428 RWTQ (SAE DynoJet)
'99 CORVETTE
'68 CAMARO - 383+D1SC, Orion Silver
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 08, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Tim...
Was that pic taken before or after the "fix"?
My wire loom has the "black with yellow striped" wire connected to the top post, which also jumps to the washer plug which I am not using.

Also, I have tried flipping that connection both ways and it immidiately blows the fuse. I mean INSTANTLY ... and a 30 amp fuse.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 05:10 AM
Senior Tech

Picture was taken prior to the fix ...

If you've tried to switch the wires and you're still popping fuses ... then I not sure what the deal is ...

I would start tracing wires to the fuse panel and ensure that non are contacting one another and that all grounds and powers are accurate with the aid of a "check light" ...

Also make sure the wiper motor is making a good ground connection to the firewall ...

May also be a bad wiper motor ...

Let us know how it goes ...

'95 383 CAMARO Z28 - C.A.M. BUILT/TUNED
405 RWHP/428 RWTQ (SAE DynoJet)
'99 CORVETTE
'68 CAMARO - 383+D1SC, Orion Silver
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech

Put a test lamp in place of that 30 amp fuse so you can troubleshoot the problem without making trips to the autoparts store for new fuses. You should be able to tell from the lamps intensity if you're shorted or not.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode