Alternator problem???18volts! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Alternator problem???18volts!

The past few days i've noticed my head lights were brighter,my fuel pump was louder,etc..So l look down at my gauge and it's showing 18volts! When I apply the brakes it goes down a little but as soon as I give it gas the volts go right back up to 18. Is that a sign of my alternator going out? Or is it something else????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Re: Alternator problem???18volts!

I have had alternators in the past overcharge and boil the battery. Caused by a faulty voltage regulator.

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Thanks paulm I appreciate the info!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 12:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Joe, I've been there and done that.

If your regulator is not grounded, it will charge wide open all the time, and mine put out 18 volts when that happened. Check your regulator grounding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 06:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

I had that happen as well...the internal regulator was bad, unfortunately it blew my MSD box and digital dash before I figured it out. Good new is everything was covered under warranty including the alternator.

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Joe, you never mentioned if your alternator is internally or externally regulated. If external, then may be a ground like Jim said or the regulator itself. If internally, then again the regulator may be bad, but it's a little more involved to replace the regulator when internal. It's usually not worth the effort unless you have an alternator that you really want to keep and reuse.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

same happened to me...thank god for gauges...and having an extra on hand

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 08, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Thanks for the help everyone! It was the regulator
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 10:55 AM
Tech Team

Class67 - I don't mean to step on this thread but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to protect the msd ignition box? How long do you suspect the regulator was bad before it took out the MSD box?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 08, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray McCarthy View Post
Class67 - I don't mean to step on this thread but I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to protect the msd ignition box? How long do you suspect the regulator was bad before it took out the MSD box?
It happened real quick, it was just when I finshed the car and drove it about 50 miles, brand new alternator and all and it just spiked upwards of 18 volts a couple of times and that was all it took. thinking back, I probably should of shut it down right then but I was 20 miles from home hoping that I would make it. As far as protecting the MSD box...it is kind of hard as the box is wired directly to the battery. Also, I have a 50 amp Max fuse for the entire system and it blew right through that as well.

Steve
67 Camaro RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode