Battery Kill switch? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Battery Kill switch?

I have a problem where my current setup on my camaro acts more of theft deterant then an actaul kill switch. I have the Flaming River switch that needs the red key before the car will start, but after the car is started and you turn the switch off, the car still runs.

I know that means it is running off the alternator correct? Can I just run the one wire from alterantor back to this same switch or no? I see Flaming River sells one that has 4 prongs but do I really need all that. Why can't I just run the alternator wire to this switch?

I am electrically challenged and really do not have any diagrams to follow. The current switch is just a two prong and I need to make it NHRA legal since the battery is in the trunk.

Thanks, Erik

67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Re: Battery Kill switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Beckett View Post
I have a problem where my current setup on my camaro acts more of theft deterant then an actaul kill switch. I have the Flaming River switch that needs the red key before the car will start, but after the car is started and you turn the switch off, the car still runs.

I know that means it is running off the alternator correct?
In theory yes that would sound like it but how did you wire everything?

Below is an example of how it can be wired.

Additional Info.....It is very important to run the alternator charging wire to the battery when you use a master kill switch. What can happen when the switch is turned off (especially at RPM) is a huge voltage spike can occur which can damage anything electrical in the car. The battery will absorb the voltage spike from the charging wire and protect all of your electrical components as long the alternator charging wire is on one side of the kill switch and everything else is on the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryWiring-MAD.jpg
Views:	5608
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	6086  

Best of 1.55 - [email protected]

Last edited by paulm; Apr 2nd, 08 at 10:43 AM. Reason: More Info...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I didn't wire the car, I got it this way. Basically the battery is mounted in the trunk and the current kill switch has a wire coming from the battery to one side of the switch and the other wire comes off the switch and all the way up to the starter. The alternator is a one wire alternator and runs off the alt. around the firewall and into the original wiring harness somehow. It ends up either over where the voltage regulator was or all the way over to the original junction block on the radiator support. I assume this is alot like original.

Erik

67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Basically the battery is mounted in the trunk and the current kill switch has a wire coming from the battery to one side of the switch and the other wire comes off the switch and all the way up to the starter.
OK one big fat always live wire to the starter.

Quote:
The alternator is a one wire alternator and runs off the alt. around the firewall and into the original wiring harness somehow. It ends up either over where the voltage regulator was or all the way over to the original junction block on the radiator support.
OK, so then yes you can run the alternator charge wire back to the battery side of the kill switch.

So I'm wondering how everything in the car gets power? You have one wire from the battery to the starter and the alternator charging wire goes into the stock harness. Is there another wire from the starter that provides power to the main harness?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes, the there is a red 8-10 guage wire running from the starter up to the junction block on the rad. support where the factory one goes.

Erik

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 08, 08:06 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Quote:
Yes, the there is a red 8-10 guage wire running from the starter up to the junction block on the rad. support where the factory one goes.

Erik
Makes sense.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So, does this mean I should run the one wire from the alternator to the battery side of the kill switch or to the actual battery itself? I just don't want any issues or fires.

Thanks, Erik

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 08, 05:32 AM
Senior Tech

It makes no difference, the battery and the live side of the kill switch are electrically the same point.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 08, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So, I just spent alot of time in the garage trying to figure out this wiring shutoff switch. I bought the two prong flaming river with the shut off lever. Theyy didn't make a 4 prong with the lever.

I was wrong on the way the car was wired. They had a negative ground switched for the on and off. The positive went from the battery all the way to the starter. So now my plans are like this but I still have questions.

1. Run the wire from the starter back to one post on the new switch.
2. Run a wire from the other post back up to the positive side of the battery.
3. Run the ground from the battery down to the nicely welded tab on the rear frame rail.
4. Run an 8-10 qauge wire from the alternator all the way back to a post on the switch.

My questions or concerns:
1. Which post does the alt. wire go on?
2. Which gauge wire is appropriate?
3. How is this really going to kill the alternator when the switch is off? Isn't this still the same set up as running the alternator down to the starter as before and when the car is running and you throw the switch the car will still run?

Sorry the questions, but I need to be thorough before a melt down.

Thanks, Erik

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 08, 08:39 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

Here's how I wired....

1. Big fat cable from starter to switched side of Ford Solenoid in trunk.
2. Big fat cable from the unswitched side of Ford solenoid to battery.
3. Ignition wire to "S" terminal on Ford Solenoid in trunk.
4. Small jumper cable from big cable on starter to starter solenoid on engine.
5. 8 Gauge from alternator charge to unswitched side of Ford solenoid in trunk
6. 8 gauge from unswitched side of Ford Solenoid to unswitched side of kill switch.
7. 8 gauge from switched side of kill switch back up to engine compartment to power everything.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 08, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

If you're running a CD Module it's possible you require a Diode at the alternator (100ma) voltage regulator side of Alternator. I would call your CD Module Mfgr.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode