Car won't start without being jumped - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Car won't start without being jumped

Hello. I have a recently restored 69 Camaro. My issue is that after the winter I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. I jump started it with a battery charger, and it ran and drove fine. However, even after driving around for 5-10 minutes if I stalled or stopped the car it won't start again. Last night I put a full charge on the battery, disconnected it, and today with a full battery charge tried to start her... and got nothing. I have a new (rebuilt) externally regulated alternator and the voltage regulator is new as well. Last fall when I completed the project this problem didn't happen. The battery is an Optima which I was told never went bad. I am going to jump start and drive her to AutoZone to test the battery and alternator, but thought I'd see if you guys had any ideas. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Re: Car won't start without being jumped

I'm no longer a fan of Optima batteries after I had 2 go bad over a winter. Each was about a year old a the time. I decide to apply the last pro-rated credit toward a Duralast which usyally last at least 5 years. That's been my Optima experience. Did you have your batter tested? It can show 12-14V but it's the voltage it drops to when under starting condition that can indicate if it's not holding sufficient charge.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

I am having it tested this afternoon. I have a feeling that it is the battery, and you are not the first person to tell me that you've been disappointed by an Optima battery. Our situations sound very similar, being that it happened over the winter. I even had it disconnected... thank you so much for your response. I'll let you know what the guys at AutoZone say about the battery.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 08, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Well, I had them tested and was told that the battery AND the alternator are bad. They could not test the voltage regulator so I'm not sure what is going wrong. I may just bite the bullet and take it back to the mechanic that did the wiring. I almost feel like something has to be draining the battery... especially since the alternator, battery and voltage regulator are brand new and barely used before the car was stored for the winter. Any other ideas as to what it could be are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode