Autometer Tach: Wiring 67 Camaro (newbie question) - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 08, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Autometer Tach: Wiring 67 Camaro (newbie question)

I am looking to add an aftermarket Autometer tach http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...earch&gid=2978 to my steering column with a guage pod. I have the following wiring instructions and was looking for the best location to run and attach each wire. http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/0595A.pdf Specific details would be appreciated relative to a 1967 Camaro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 08, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: Autometer Tach: Wiring 67 Camaro (newbie question)

Also, my car did not come with a factory tach... Am I sill able to hook up everything behind the dash without going through the firewall directly to the coil?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 08, 05:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you're gonna do the indash tach, you should also do the indash autometer speedo. All the guts behind the dash carreir need to come out, and everything will need to be rewired.

You will need to go thru the firewall for the tach to coil lead, speedo cable grommet works good.

For the pod gauges, you can use the wires for the old idiot light senders, just install the autometer senders in thier place then rewire the existing wires under the dash.

There have been threads on this before that you can search out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Yeah, I'm not going to distroy my original dash this will just be strapped to the steering column so that it can be removed. Most of the previous threads are in dash etc. etc. and they don't give specific information on where the best place to ground and get power etc.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 08, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I did the same thing you want to do. My car was originally a light car so I installed a 3 3/4" tach on my steering wheel, but I did not need to use a pod. The tach mounts to the column using a large enough hose clamp. Yes you will have to run the tach reference wire outside the passenger compartment to get a signal. If you run an MSD ignition box, you can run the tach wire to the MSD box. If not, then the negative side of the coil. All other wires can remain inside the passenger compartment. The base of the tach is rounded like the shape of the column, but it's not a perfect fit, but you definately don't need a pod. I don't think you would be able to mount a tach to the column using a pod anyway. The largest size tach I would install on the column is a 3 3/4". 5" is TOO BIG. Here is the exact tach I used.
http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail...id=2603&sid=12

If you look close at the base of the tach, you will see where it is slightly rounded and the mount has slits machined into it for the hose clamp to slide through.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 08, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Thanks! Yeah this is a pedistal tach and it comes with a pod already if you buy just a tach then you need the pod to make it look like this.

So, I'll run the wire through the firewall to the negative on the coil. Where did you get the ignition power and ground.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 08, 06:30 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Fuse box.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode