Power Door Locks In A 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 08, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Power Door Locks In A 67

Hey. Did the 67 ever come with an electric door lock option? If so, where can I get the necessary pieces? Does anyone have this option? If so, may I see some pics if possible? Thanks.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 08, 06:51 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Re: Power Door Locks In A 67

I installed an alarm on my car (S. FLorida, car theft capital), and also installed the solenoids to lock/unlock the doors with remote.

Things snowballed after that, my remotes had two more channels, so I installed a trunk unlock solenoid also.

Having one channel left, it just seemed like the right thing to do to use this last channel to open and close my RS headlight doors (but they also open/close with the headlight switch of course)

I don't have pictures, but you can PM me if you need door unlock details.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 08, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Do you still have to manually unlock your doors when you're sitting in the car, like if someone wants to get in the passenger seat and the door is locked or do you hit a button and it will unlock? I have to admit, I don't have much fabrication experience. I can take things apart and rebuild, reassemble them, but making panels from scratch or brackets and welding I suck, in fact, I've never done it.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 08, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I believe they all pretty much work the same. If you are in the car with it locked, you can pull up on either door lock knob and it will unlock both or hit the key fob. I installed door locks in mine and I guarantee you, you can install power door locks. It is simple.
Gary

69 rs/ss 350 "vert" air tilt windows
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 08, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoter View Post
I believe they all pretty much work the same. If you are in the car with it locked, you can pull up on either door lock knob and it will unlock both or hit the key fob. I installed door locks in mine and I guarantee you, you can install power door locks. It is simple.
Gary
Correct, keyfob or just reach over and unlock the passenger side.
I did not install manual switches anywhere, did not see the need to do that.
I programmed mine to lock 1 sec after the ign is on, and unlock 1 sec after ign off.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 08, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

So I just get a keyless entry system and I would also have to get some solenoids, right? My Nissan Hardbody truck was like that. It didn't have power door locks, but power assisted locks. If I opened or closed one lock, they both opened or closed and there were no lock/unlock buttons. My alarm would lock/unlock the doors along with the windows, but that's another function. I have no knowledge of how to fab brackets or weld so being able to mount the solenoids would be a chore for me.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 08, 11:12 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

The keyless door lock kits come with everything you need. As far as "fabing" brackets is concerned, all you need is a pair of pliers!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 08, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

The keyless kit comes with the solenoids also? That's perfect. I don't think it would be too hard. It's not the wiring portion I am concerned with. I can handle that. It's the fab work(brackets if necessary) that I suck at.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 08, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Charlie

Does anyone suggest a good, better, best(perhaps I should say, most complete)kit to purchase?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 1st, 08, 11:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Charlie,
The answer to your question ( I am sorry to say ) is no!
Bob C
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I can't tell you a good, better, best but I used a kit from A1 Electric and it worked fine. It had everything I needed in the kit.
http://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm
Gary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode