Ground strap - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Ground strap

Hey,

Wanting to put a groung stap on. I have aluminum heads and was wondering to bolt the strap from the head to the frame or bolt the strap from the block to the frame. Thanks Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Brett

Re: Ground strap

If you are talking about the factory straps they go from the valve cover to the firewall.

Brett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Sorry they are after market straps.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 03:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The straps Brett is refering to are part of the radio options... You should have a ground from the batterys negative to the block, heads or alt bracket attached to block and heads. Aluminum is a great conductor of electricity by the way. The only other ground you need is from the batterys negative terminal to the inner fender. You should have a pigtail for this attached to your main ground coming off the negative on the battery.

You shouldn't need to strap the block to the frame or firewall for the engine and all lights etc to work properly. Many times guys have a grounding issue and bandaid it by adding ground straps like the ones for the radio...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

The battery is in the trunk. The reason I asked about the strap is that a couple of guys say that the aliminum heads are conductors of electricity like you said and the heads have been know ruin???? There is a word for this..... Thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 03:49 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Corrosion can occure between dis-similar metals. It's called electrolysis I believe in a cooling system. You need to use an anti-oxidant grease on any electrical connections and hardware when connected to aluminum to protect against corrosion.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 03:58 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

Use "OxGuard" when making electrical conections.
It is a green dielectric grease you can find at electrical houses or maybe home centers.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 08, 11:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I too have aluminum heads and a battery in the trunk. I am not an electrical engineer, but I don't think that making an electrical connection in your system with aluminum heads in the mix is going to cause problems. In my case, I ran two straps:

- In the front of the motor from the block to the subframe. I used the fuel pump location (I have a blockoff plate) directly to a hole that was already in the subframe nearby.

- In the rear of the motor, from the back of the head to the body of the car, near where my positive battery cable from the trunk came down to the starter.

I can give you more details and pictures if you need them.

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 4th, 08, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionCritical View Post
I too have aluminum heads and a battery in the trunk. I am not an electrical engineer, but I don't think that making an electrical connection in your system with aluminum heads in the mix is going to cause problems. In my case, I ran two straps:

- In the front of the motor from the block to the subframe. I used the fuel pump location (I have a blockoff plate) directly to a hole that was already in the subframe nearby.

- In the rear of the motor, from the back of the head to the body of the car, near where my positive battery cable from the trunk came down to the starter.

I can give you more details and pictures if you need them.

-Kevin
Been out of town over the weekend, Kevin can you send some pics. to me through my P.m.'s thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 5th, 08, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I took some pictures, but some of the angles are hard to see well.

1. The ground strap off the engine runs from my fuel pump block off plate to the frame. I don't know what this hole originally was used for (factory strap for the battery cable to the starter ?), but its right above the motor mount.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...ts/ground2.jpg

2. I have another strap attached to the rear of the head (aluminum) going to the body. I got a picture from below, but its hard to see. I have a thru-firewall connector for the hot side, and its near that point on the body. Its just a bolt, I do NOT have a negative cable going all the way to the battery.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...ts/ground1.jpg

Here it is from below:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...ts/ground3.jpg

3. Here is my battery mount in the trunk and the ground point. I have a stainless carriage bolt through the frame rail, up through the trunk floor, and through the roll cage mounting pad in the trunk. I figured this puts it through the most metal at one time.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j.../bat_trunk.jpg

-Kevin

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode