Not getting power to fusebox - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 4th, 08, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Not getting power to fusebox

1st start up in 27 years - Engine is ready to run - Hooked up battery to starter and purple wire to S terminal on solenoid. Hooked up new MSD 8360 plug correctly to coil and inserted wiring harness into the fuse block. Nothing happened. I double checked the purple for breaks and power thru the harness off the battery - OK - With the key on I expected to have power to my fusebox for ascessories but nothing. Any suggestions? Are there any other grounds, neutral safely switch or other wires that need connecting for the first start up??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 08, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Not getting power to fusebox

Headlights work?
Does engine crank?

Power from the battery pigtail to junction block next to battery to horn relay buss bar to/through firewall connector then spliced to headlamp switch and ignition switch. Red wire, thick #10 AWG.

Usual culprit is the horn relay buss bar. Remove terminals and clean all, same goes for the junction box next to the battery on the radiator support. In fact, you may want to remove the junction block as rust builds up behind the block and to the rad support providing a high resistance and deadens the battery over time.

You might disconnect the battery and use the beeper of the DMM and connect continuity tester between BAT terminal and IGN terminal on fusebox and listen for beep when ign switch is in IGN. No beep, worn/dirty/burnt contacts in ign switch. Maybe turning the bejesus outta the ign switch might clean u the contacts.

You could always insert a toggle switch between these two terminals to simulate ign.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 08, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I did not know I had to have both halves of the wiring harness hooked up. No front end clip on so I left the headlight harness off. Once connected, she turned over. Still not sure I have power to the coil but I'm one step closer. Thanks for your help.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 5th, 08, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Now that we know there is less of a car, you'll have to run a hot wire from the battery to the coil, again, a toggle switch to pretend ignition.

There is no ign when in START, thus the need for the yellow wire from R terminal to coil. And no power for ACC when in START position.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode