eliminate remote starter solenoid - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

eliminate remote starter solenoid

I bought the car and it came already with a remote starter solenoid connected. Since installing the new 406, MSD 6al, blaster 2 coil, and pro billet dist. I have had nothing but problems. I have the purple wire, starter wire, positive battery cable, and another wire connected to the remote solenoid. I want to ditch this. What wires go where? Purple to starter, starter to battery, etc.etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech

Re: eliminate remote starter solenoid

Acually you've covered it. Big red wire to the starter solenoid bolt terminal. Purple wire to the solenoid 'S' terminal closest to the block.

From what I've seen, many hot crank issues are due to bad connections elsewhere in the system. Check your connections in the main power, and starter circuits for corrosion or heat stress. Clean up any bad connections or replace them. Also, the ingition switch can contribute to a crank problem. The remote starter relay / solenoid essentially bypasses any bad connections which is why it works. But the root cause may still be lurking.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

I wouldn't get rid of the remote starter. You probably have problems elsewhere. Go to MAD electrical. There's a lot of good info there. Talk with Mark there.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I agree with you 100%. Junk that remote solenoid. All it's good for is another part to go bad and you ABSOLUTELY DO NO NEED IT!!!!!!! All you need is to buy a "Thermo Shield" starter wrap. It's a fiberglass wrap that goes around the starter. I run headers and I have NEVER had a heat soak issue, NEVER. Here's what you do. Go to a stereo installation shop and get the appropriate amount of 4gauge cable and also get the appropriate size GOLD terminals that attach to the starter and to the battery. Make sure they are tight and clean and you will never have a problem. Here is the Thermo Shield.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Make sure you get your 4gauge cable from a stereo shop. There are different types of cable. Most generic cable is thick strand cable. Stereo shops, at least the high end shops, use thin strand cable. The thinner and the more of it the better. Rockford Fosgate or Kicker make great terminals for both the battery and the starter end. Here is the cable I am referring to. This is 100 foot role, obviously you don't need this much, but the style is what's important. They have it in both red and black for power and ground.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

Last edited by 67CamaroRS/SS; May 19th, 08 at 11:30 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 19th, 08, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Took the mini starter to Advanced Auto and it checked out fine. It poped out and ran like a champ. Just have to wire the sob correctly. Thanks guys.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I went to the MAD Electrical website and did a little reading. Went online to get more info on the remote starter solenoid. I was wiring it wrong and I had some loose connections. Tightened everything up and started her up without any problems.
Thanks.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 20th, 08, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Also by retaining the remote solenoid if ever you need to bump your engine over by using a remote starter. You don't have to crawl under your car to hook it up. Just connect one clip to the battery side post of the solenoid and the small post next to it. Works pretty slick. Glad you took the time to check out Mark's info at MAD. You can really take a load off of your elec. system with some of his upgrades.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I still suggest you remove the remote solenoid. Painless makes a kit call the Hot Shot Plus. It is a wiring upgrade with a relay that allows full current to the starter plus it has a starter bump button. It is a much better addition that the remote solenoid. I installed one on my mini starter and it is GREAT. Makes valve adjustments a breeze. Here is a link to the Hot Shot Plus.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech

You can wire up the Ford relay to be electrically identical to the HotShot circuit and use a $10 switch, saving $40 plus shipping.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post

You can wire up the Ford relay to be electrically identical to the HotShot circuit and use a $10 switch, saving $40 plus shipping.
The HotShot, yes, but the HotShot Plus has a starter bump button that the standard HotShot does not.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech

That's what the $10 switch is for.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 08, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Ended up keeping the solenoid. I cleaned up all the connections and put everything back together and started her up fine without any problems. I'am taking her to the shop to get the timing dialed in. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode